Black Jersey Giant thread!!!!!

Pics
I'm a newbie...just bought four jersey giant pullets five weeks ago and adore them. One of my chicks is considerable smaller than the rest. They were all born on Easter and have been fed the same diet. She eats just as much as the rest but just seems much much smaller than the rest. She is just as active, if not more than the others. Her name is Rosie but I am starting to wonder if she is a roo. . Not including her, two other chicks are starting to look like roosters as well. Is there some way to notice on Jersey Giants that may indicate a rooster. I was already worried about having one rooster, I think I may have three....please give me your opinions or advice on the sex, if possible.

We bought 4 Jersey Giants this spring at the tractor supply place, and I have loved watching these girls grow. They are pretty good-sized now, but still don't mix well with our Rhode Island Reds (we have 5 of those). The Reds are an established flock, so I followed all the advice I could read about integrating the flocks. We had some very hilarious interactions with the girls when I first intro'ed the Black girls. They don't fight but every now and then, one of our Red girls will chase one of the Black girls. My hubby calls the Blacks the SBF club (Single Black Females)
tongue.png
, because they tend to hang out in a certain area of our yard, preening & talking among themselves. So far, it looks like segregation out there in the coop, but I am sure as our Blacks get bigger, that will change. They are beautiful birds and I'm loving having them! They do seem much shyer than our Red though.

these are my bjgs love them very big 11 wks old ..but dont find them to be friendly always trying to get away form you and i raised them as babies and held them all the time ...my sussex are so friendly and very attached to me ...good luck with yours

We just ordered 12 Black and 12 White Jersey Giants. They are suppose to arrive the Week of July 7th. We have Welsummers and Barred Rocks currently. I am hoping to replace the Barred Rocks with the JGs. I love the Welsummers and will get more in the future.

just put this together for my sussex chicks
love it am sure they do too..good luck with urs coming in july..have u had bjgs before..like the large size but not the personality of them my opinion ...sussex much more friendly too me ...am thining of going with blue iowas next another one i had picked ...

We have had Jersey's before. Also have had Orpingtons and Faverolles. Outside of the Barred Rocks we have never had a problem with any of the breeds. The Rocks we got are mean and aggressive.

Back
Top Bottom