Black Jersey Giant thread!!!!!

Pics
Does anyone have any pictures of their chicks after starting to feather in? I was sold some BJG, was really excited to get them, and they started feathering in and they're not feathering purely black. They have red/gold leakage, and it's pretty bad. I'm pretty sour about it, considering the seller made a big deal about being NPIP and selling only SQ birds and how their birds have won awards, yada yada yada. This is what mine look like right now :

They insist that their birds didn't get mixed with any of their other breeds, and they've made no move to try to fix the issue. Ugh. I'm so tired of getting burned on chicks!!! :mad:
I'm no expert, and my pullet we just got from a feed store, but she doesn't have any of the brown on her.

Hen or cockerel. Blue jersey giant.

Hen or cockerel. Blue jersey giant.
A bit of a wide range in age. If it's closer to 2 months then I'd say roo as my pullet is 7-8 weeks old and doesn't have a developed comb or wattles. If it's closer to 3 months then I'm unsure. Hopefully someone who knows more will chime in.

This is Goliath!! He is our roo!! We purchased 5 total and at this time I believe he is our only roo. The other red combed sweet heart is not crowing yet so fingers crossed.. :)

I do have a couple questions.. My roo doesn't have any spur bumps is this normal? The other red combed we have is the same age as Goliath so just over 3 months. Would I be safe to assume it is a hen? I also do not notice the pointy saddle feathers yet I'm thinking these come later?? We have had many chickens and These guys and my Marans are my "special Project fun" birds..:)

Im way late into this thread but I just got two - 4 weeks and they are big and hilarious - so much silly personality for a chicken...

Back
Top Bottom