1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Black Minorca

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by CrowHollowFarm, Sep 5, 2015.

1. CrowHollowFarm

CrowHollowFarm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2015
    VA
    Looking for info on this breed from previous breeders. Size eggs and frequency, do they prefer to roost in trees when free ranged, and any aggressive tendency? Or any other info that you personally have. Thanks

2. IceAngel

IceAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2013
    Are you breeding them as an ornamental species or as a farm animal? As a farm bird, it is an egg-laying breed. Hens start laying early, at about 26 weeks, and give about 120 white eggs per year.

3. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    I've had Black Minorcas in the past and they are excellent layers, laying around 5-6 white eggs per hen per week, and their eggs are typically very large compared to the of most other breeds. I wouldn't characterize Minorcas as being aggressive, but like most Mediterranean breeds, they tend to be high strung and flighty; a poor breed choice if you want lap pets. They are very good fliers as chickens go and if you free range them, some of them at least will likely roost in your trees.

4. maralpz2006

maralpz2006 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    mississippi
    My black minorca started laying today at 6 months same as my white frizzle. [​IMG]. [​IMG]

5. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Congratulations! It's always so egg-citing getting that first egg. :eek:) The eggs will get larger as she matures. Your Black Minorca will lay more, and eventually larger eggs than your Frizzle.

6. maralpz2006

maralpz2006 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    mississippi
    thank you , yes i have one more black minorca and 2 buff minorcas same age i believe they gonna star soon

7. Michael OShay

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    You're welcome.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by