Black Minorca

CrowHollowFarm

Chirping
Feb 15, 2015
VA
Looking for info on this breed from previous breeders. Size eggs and frequency, do they prefer to roost in trees when free ranged, and any aggressive tendency? Or any other info that you personally have. Thanks

Are you breeding them as an ornamental species or as a farm animal? As a farm bird, it is an egg-laying breed. Hens start laying early, at about 26 weeks, and give about 120 white eggs per year.

I've had Black Minorcas in the past and they are excellent layers, laying around 5-6 white eggs per hen per week, and their eggs are typically very large compared to the of most other breeds. I wouldn't characterize Minorcas as being aggressive, but like most Mediterranean breeds, they tend to be high strung and flighty; a poor breed choice if you want lap pets. They are very good fliers as chickens go and if you free range them, some of them at least will likely roost in your trees.

My black minorca started laying today at 6 months same as my white frizzle.

My black minorca started laying today at 6 months same as my white frizzle. .

Congratulations! It's always so egg-citing getting that first egg. :eek:) The eggs will get larger as she matures. Your Black Minorca will lay more, and eventually larger eggs than your Frizzle.

Back
Top Bottom