Black oil Sunflower Seeds, In the Shell or out? How much and how often

DENALI

Songster
11 Years
Feb 27, 2008
Bought a bag of whole in the shell black oil sunflower seeds. just wanted to make sure thats what everyone is using and not the "seeds only" version before i open the bag.
Also how much and how often do you let them have some? I have 13 11 month old RIR's at the moment. Thanks

I only use the black oil sunflower seeds that are still in the shell. These should be kept as a healthy treat for your flock. I would use a empty tin can from soup or vegtables as a measure, and feed them one can a day. They will clean them up in less than 5 minutes once they know what they are.

If your birds don't free range, then I would provide grit for them also to digest the grain to it's full potential.

bigzio

Quote:
Good point! I did buy a bag of grit. The run is only a 10x26 so they wont be free range. How much grit should i give them? (13 RIR's )

Grit should also be fed free choice. I use a empty can like tuna fish or pet food comes in. I tacked it to a piece of wood on the wall on the inside of the coop, at a easy height for the flock. Any small container that they won't tip over would work well.

bigzio

Quote:
So you dont just toss it out in the run and let them "come across it"?

I feed them the sunflower chips - w/o shell. Don't know if I need to, but that's what I've been doing.
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom