Black oil Sunflower Seeds, In the Shell or out? How much and how often

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by DENALI, Mar 22, 2008.

1. DENALI

DENALI Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Bought a bag of whole in the shell black oil sunflower seeds. just wanted to make sure thats what everyone is using and not the "seeds only" version before i open the bag.
    Also how much and how often do you let them have some? I have 13 11 month old RIR's at the moment. Thanks

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    We buy in-the-shell BOSS to feed also. I usually feed a handful or two every few days.

Dawn

3. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I only use the black oil sunflower seeds that are still in the shell. These should be kept as a healthy treat for your flock. I would use a empty tin can from soup or vegtables as a measure, and feed them one can a day. They will clean them up in less than 5 minutes once they know what they are.

If your birds don't free range, then I would provide grit for them also to digest the grain to it's full potential.

bigzio

4. DENALI

Feb 27, 2008
    Quote:Good point! I did buy a bag of grit. The run is only a 10x26 so they wont be free range. How much grit should i give them? (13 RIR's )

5. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Grit should also be fed free choice. I use a empty can like tuna fish or pet food comes in. I tacked it to a piece of wood on the wall on the inside of the coop, at a easy height for the flock. Any small container that they won't tip over would work well.

bigzio

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Mine love BOSS and come running when they see it coming. I give a little extra when they're molting.

7. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Do chickens actually digest the shells?!?!

8. DENALI

Feb 27, 2008
    Quote:So you dont just toss it out in the run and let them "come across it"?

9. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

I feed them the sunflower chips - w/o shell. Don't know if I need to, but that's what I've been doing. [​IMG]

10. nightshade

nightshade Chillin' With My Peeps

I mix a 25lb bag of black oil sunflowers in shells in with 100lbs of layer pellets as their daily feed. The seem to get fuller with them then what they do with out. ( eat more feed lbs of feed altogether)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by