Black waddle and comb. Please help!!

Personally I would not try to remove or clean it. That could break open any scabs and set it to bleeding.

I do not think any of us asked if this was not there one day and there the next. Sudden onset of issue or gradual and all that.

I doubt it's either of the fowl poxes, but it doesn't look like fight scabs, either.

Every rooster I've had have had those tiny black blisters at least once in their lives. They're different from fight scabs in that they are uniformly tiny dots while fight scabs vary in size and shape.

Every single time a rooster of mine started getting those black bumps, I painted his comb and wattles with Blu-kote and they cleared up quickly over a few days time.

It is a sort of cream. The farm store I get my feed from carries it. Yours should but if they do not have it may be willing to order some or there is Amazon.

My bad it is the more liquid like stuff. I was thinking of "pick no more".

Last edited:
Oh ok. So I guess I'll be purchasing some blu-kote and giving that a try. I just hope whatever these "spots/scabs" are will not kill him or any other hens he is around.
1f633.png

The blu kote should discourage pecking and has antifungal properties so should stop any of that mess. It is said to be good stuff.

I do not think he will make others ill with anything fatal.

Last edited:
I am a fan and believer of coconut oil.
I would purchase some blu-kite but I would try coconut first

Blu-kote is gentian violet, an anti-fungal and also anti-biotic. It's liquid. There's another brand called Blue Lotion, also a liquid containing gentian violet. They used to paint babies mouths with it when they got thrush, a fungus. Good stuff. Now you need a prescription to get it for humans.

You certainly can use it with coconut oil. Put the Blu-kote on first. Let it dry. Then smooth on the coconut oil. Between those two, I'm sure the black spots will clear right up. Even if it's fowl pox, which I doubt, it won't kill him or the hens.

Blu-kote is gentian violet, an anti-fungal and also anti-biotic. It's liquid. There's another brand called Blue Lotion, also a liquid containing gentian violet. They used to paint babies mouths with it when they got thrush, a fungus. Good stuff. Now you need a prescription to get it for humans.

You certainly can use it with coconut oil. Put the Blu-kote on first. Let it dry. Then smooth on the coconut oil. Between those two, I'm sure the black spots will clear right up. Even if it's fowl pox, which I doubt, it won't kill him or the hens.

neat..i did not know this!
thanks!

Back
Top Bottom