Black walnuts? Where to get these?

Nah, you can open them with a nutcracker once you let them dry out, which is what they've been doing for quite a few weeks now in my garage. They're tougher than a regular walnut, yes, but once the shell dries completely, they usually just fall open pretty easily. You can crack them using channel lock pliers too - we've cracked quite a few.

Speaking of walnuts -I'd better go check before I commit to anything and make sure they're still out there and hubby didnt give them all away!
th.gif
Havent been in the garage all week!

*running out now* will update to make sure they're still there!

ETA:

Silkie - just ran outside and grabbed a bagful of them - these are HEAVY - I have below about 1/2 a grocery bag full and it weighs about 5-6 lbs. The shells are extremely heavy on black walnuts. So for a bag this size, meat wise, I'd say you'd get probably about 1/2 a lb unshelled of walnuts. Shipping: I can ship these in a flat rate box I think and stuff plastic bags to keep them from rattling around so much. If I foodsaver them, they may get moldy (they need air). When you get them, some of them still have the outer casing on them and/or white dust - just take a heavy bristled brush to them and knock it all off - they're fine to eat
smile.png
Its just how they are when they are fresh. Do NOT soak them in water or rinse them off!

I probably have 40 lbs in the garage at least in the wheel barrel. Hubby is giving some to grandmom tomorrow, so good thing I looked!

walnuts-1.jpg

Last edited:
Here's a funny question. Last year I picked some black walnuts and opened them to peek inside, and there were WORMS! Someone else told me the worms are not in the nut itself, just the outside - but I can't BARE to look again.
Anyone get anything like that? How do I keep the worms away?

This year I think the little critters around here got all the nuts.
lol.png

Wild

were they on the outside of the casing or on the actual shells when you cracked them? Sometimes, yes.. you can get worms in them *note to Silkie - please make note of this* if they are left on the ground for an overly long amount of time. Most times I've found worms it was on the fuzzy green outer lining that turns black (the thing that holds the walnut shell).

I havent looked over all of our walnuts - so... I don't know. we've cracked a few and havent found any, but all the shells were closed..so....

yeah , does gross ya out though huh? LOL
sickbyc.gif

Last edited:
I've never tasted a black walnut... or even seen them till you posted a pic!!! Didn't even knew there was such a thing since the only nut from a tree around here are marble sized acorns. LOL. I'd assume worms wouldn't really be a problem in the nut meat unless the shell was cracked or damaged some how.

Bad bug story... When I was a kid, I used to pop green peas from pods into my mouth... well... after popping a few in that tasted bad I spit it out to discover green grubs!!! EWWWW Ever since then I open them up and inspect each seed!

Yuck... then this summer I "crunched" into a potato because there was a millipede in it.
sickbyc.gif

HennysMom, sending you a PM!

Ugh come take mine too!!!

I have about 13 HUGEEEEE black walnut trees in my yard and I hate mowing the grass because I hit one of those babies and they go FLYINGGGGG
lau.gif

Quote:
Yeah, on th eoutside I think, I was still picking them, and just pinched a couple open to look inside, and there were the worms
sickbyc.gif
these nuts were not even on the ground yet.

Back
Top Bottom