Bless Their Heart... And Other Southern Sayings

My partner is from the Carolinas. I sure have learned a lot...

fiddledeedee--really, she says this!
happy as a dead pig in the sunshine
that child ain't right
is that okra any count? Nope, it ain't no count.
Sorry, no count youngun
if something is especially bad, use THE in front--the dog had THE diarrhea
frog strangler (hard rain)

and she has to spell out whether she is talking about our friend, Carl or our friend, Coral.--sounds exactly the same.

Many more, I'll post as they occur, Love this thread!!!

Quote:
lau.gif
gig.gif
That is exactly how I give directions!!!! Bless my heart.
love.gif

You know, this thread has made me remember some of the sayings that I had forgotten all about. It seems like I don't hear as many of them anymore. I know in my family just about every other year we lose one of my great aunts or uncles & most recently my grandad.

"Can't see through muddy water" - my mama used to say that to me when I was little if I blocked her view of the TV while she was trying to watch it.

"ground itch"- I remember my grandma & my aunt telling me not to go outside barefoot while the ground was wet or I'd get ground itch.

"Well, that was a water haul"- my grandma still says this when she's made a trip or run an errand for nothing.

"knee baby"- the next to youngest child in a family

"umblin" - someone that's sweet or easygoing

"You've got the same britches to get glad in" - my grandma always said this to my cousins & I when we threw temper tantrums or if someone was mad at her.

"Give me some sugar"- give me a kiss

"I'll blister your behind"- my grandma & mama would tell me that when I misbehaved.

"He's got the devil in him" - someone that fusses a lot

"If you don't behave, Uncle Charlie'll put you in his croaker sack" - Uncle Charlie was a sweet old man that was born into slavery & lived to 122 in my town. He used to walk to town everyday with a croaker sack on his shoulder to tote his purchases home in. Mothers started using the threat of being toted off in the sack as way to keep their children in line, &, even though he wouldn't hurt a fly, Uncle Charlie went along with it. By the time I came along, he had died, but I can still remember my mother & grandma telling me that.

And then there was the joke that my cousins used to tease me with growing up: "Pete & Repeat went fishing. Pete jumped in. Who was left?" And, of course, I would respond every single time, "Repeat."

Last edited:
I reckon I can recollect usin' near 'bout all 'em sayin's a time or two, myself. I'm always fixin' ta do sumpthin; I ain't a no count lay-about! Oh, my stars & garters! I had no idee ya'll was comin ta visit. Why, the last time I saw little Susie, she was knee-high to a grasshopper. Lookit 'er now--growin' like a weed. Fiddlestix, where ARE my manners? Ya'll c'mon in an set a spell. Ya'll want some tea? We was just fixin' ta have supper; yer welcome ta stay & eat a bite. There's plenty here--Ma cooks 'nuff ta feed an army.
lol.png

I grew up with most of what's been posted, but didn't pay much attention to them until we moved to West (by God) Virginia when I was a teen.
Then after a while, all my friends in MD told me I sounded like a hick with my 'accent.' That's ok, I remain southern by the grace of God.
I think I have the best of both worlds: I can chew the fat with the best of 'em, but I clean up real nice, too.
Great thread!

My dad, while not from the south, seemed to have a million of these

faster than grass through a goose
don't know him from Adam's off ox
slicker than snot

And my mom, from the Seattle area, would call us for dinner with "come and get it or I'll throw it in the crick".

Yard full o' rocks :

How 'bout this one

We say

Breakfast (morning meal)
Dinner (noon meal) and
Supper (evening meal)

I bet most folks say

Breakfast, lunch and dinner

We had a little bit of variation on the meals of the day:
Breakfast (morning meal)
Lunch (noon meal)
Dinner ...evening meal BUT only if it was a "proper" dinner like meat 'n taters!
If it was only something like toasted cheese (as opposed to gilled cheese) sandwiches and
Campbell's Soup THEN it was Supper!

AND to complicate it more....we always had a big Sunday Dinner (at noon of course)
but Sunday night was always Supper. Go figure! I guess it depended on whether it was the Main meal or formal
meal of the day or just something lighter.

Oh and the Sunday Dinner was always a meal that would "split 'ur britches"!

Another thing...I was at least in high school before I realized a Chest (of Drawers) wasn't Chester Drawrs. I never could figure out
why we put our clothes in something called Chester's Drawrs???

Oh and one more....my non-Southern friends always teased me about calling a garden hose a hose pipe.​

YOUNS have jus barly skimmed da surface!!! I'm from ALYBAMY!!! WAY DOWN HER IN DA HEART♥OF DIXIE!!! Jeff Foxworthy ain't got narry a clue as ta whut a REDNECK IS!!! Hey Jeffy, let me give ye som new materal: "CUSTOM" yeah, dey ticked me off and I CUSSED 'EM everyone!!! Now 'OL LARRY...DARS A REAL REDNECK!!! <<hurs one fer Larry: ye ask som youngster "HOW OLD DID YE SAY YE WERE??? 19, he says..Den ye say.."I GOT UNDERWAR OLDER DAN YOU!!! LOL!!! Ron White!!! I can smoke mor cigerats any drank mor bur dan yer a** on ye bes day...jus dont fergit da TYLEYNOL!!! LOL!!! Seemd ta me down her we ADOP lots of THANGS into our language...da mexycuns have ben buyin big CHEEKINS from me!!! LOL!!! OK, THIS IS JUST SCRATCHING THE SURFACE HERE!!! This kinda stuff has inspared me ta rite a country song>> I THOUGHT I WAS A REDNECK TILL I MET YOU!!! ATLEAST A GOT A BRANCH OR TWO ON MY FAMILY TREE!!! WHUR'S MA BANJER??? Cornishman!!! LMAO!!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom