Blood tinged poop PLEASE HELP!!!

Emily94

In the Brooder
Jul 8, 2020
I have 13 young chickens, 10 - 3 week olds, 1 - 8 week old, and 2 - 6 week olds. I was told they were all vaccinated for coccidiosis at the time of purchasing but I just brought home the 2 - 6 week olds yesterday and because I was told they were vaccinated for Marek's and coccidiosis I didn't quarantine 🤦🏻‍♀️which I am now extremely regretting as the seller I purchased the two new ones advised me today they actually weren't vaccinated for coccidiosis and then this evening I noticed blood tinged stool from one of the chickens but I am unsure who it came from. I know all the other birds were vaccinated but now I am unsure what to do as I keep reading you don't want to cancel out the vaccines by giving the whole flock treatment but then other articles say if one bird has it the whole flock is most likely infected... I'm at a loss and I'm not sure what to do I don't want to lose anyone 😭 especially since I have just started. Thank you for any advice! I will be bringing in a sample to our vet tomorrow.

Last edited:
hello @Emily94 - welcome to BYC :frow

Take a deep breath! 1st, coccidiosis is everywhere and is not normally fatal. When first exposed a bird may be under the weather for a day or three, but then gets over it.

2nd it's a good idea to quarantine ANY new birds on your property for at least 2 weeks, to avoid unnecessary infections of your flock. Chalk this worry and shock up as a valuable lesson in the importance of biosecurity.

3rd most vets don't do chickens. The consultation fee alone is normally far more costly than a replacement chicken so most people don't bother so vets don't get much experience with chickens.

have you got a photo of the bloody poop?

I treat all my chicks with corid when I get them home. I lost a couple before I knew what to do. I treated the rest of the chicks in that brood and they were all healthy. Now I do it automatically just to make sure it doesnt happen again

I am feeling very silly for not keeping them separated I just didn't know enough about coccidiosis and thought that with the vaccine they'd be good but after more reading I am learning otherwise and from now on will most certainly be isolating new birds. My other issue is that I have no idea who it even came from in order to isolate that bird. I did not get a photo as I had to run inside to grab my phone and a bag to collect the poop and when I came back it must've become covered in the shavings as I couldn't find it. I am trying to get amprolium (corid) and unfortunately in Canada we need to go through a vet in order to purchase 😬. I'm hoping the vaccinated ones will be able to pull through as I don't want to lose anyone, I have been cleaning regularly so I am hoping that will help but it's all very overwhelming I am more so worried about the ten young 3 week olds.

Last edited:
At that age I would treat with Corid. They are probably too young to fight coccidia themselves. If your first batch was 100% vaccinated for coccidia here is what I would do. Seperate the new ones from the old ones... treat them with Corid. Then put them back with the first ones so they can pick at their poop. They will slowly pick up the immunity to coccida. You also should avoid cleaning the area too much since they actually need to digest the poop again and keep getting reinfected with the vaccine (it's actually just weak coccidia that they are being vaccinated with).
I have learned so much in recent weeks since that is what I am battling at the moment. I couldn't get a vaccine in spring. Mine were treated for coccidia twice.. now they have to fight it and get immune to it. They are old enough and I can't keep giving them meds.
Oregano helps either in liquid form or fresh/dried. You might have to mix it with carrots , yoghurt or other yummy stuff they like.

Back
Top Bottom