Bloody poop, then normal poop, is coccidiosis a possibility?

chickentikka

Chirping
10 Years
Jul 11, 2013
I found an alarming poop yesterday morning (looked like blood, not lining, but I could be wrong). My 5 hens (about 1.5 years) are all acting normally and all had a non-bloody poop when they were let out of the coop this morning. Once you have a major coccidiosis build up that would cause bloody poop, will all poops be bloody until treated or is it possible to have normal poops?

While it doesn't seem like they are prime candidates for the parasite, it has been insanely, insanely wet for weeks and they are running around in a mud pit. I planted a new run with rye and it had just gotten tall enough to move them when I noticed that parts of it have actually molded/mildewed from all of the rain.

I don't want to put them through the rigors of treatment unless they need it, but I also don't want to risk my sweeties!

I found an alarming poop yesterday morning (looked like blood, not lining, but I could be wrong). My 5 hens (about 1.5 years) are all acting normally and all had a non-bloody poop when they were let out of the coop this morning. Once you have a major coccidiosis build up that would cause bloody poop, will all poops be bloody until treated or is it possible to have normal poops?

While it doesn't seem like they are prime candidates for the parasite, it has been insanely, insanely wet for weeks and they are running around in a mud pit. I planted a new run with rye and it had just gotten tall enough to move them when I noticed that parts of it have actually molded/mildewed from all of the rain.

I don't want to put them through the rigors of treatment unless they need it, but I also don't want to risk my sweeties!
There are 9 strains of Coccidiosis,and they do not all show blood in poop. It is possible for hens this age to have a cocci overload,it can be spread by birds,bringing it in on your clothes/shoes,etc. When a strain is brought into area that chickens have no immunity to,they can pick it up. Watch them for Cocci symptoms runny/watery poop(may or may not contain blood)fluffed feathers,lethargic,not eating/drinking properly. Medicating for Cocci will not harm chickens.

Possible it was just shed intestinal lining.

I agree with above post. Its possible that another strain of cocci could have been introduced to your birds. A strain they have not developed immunity to. Also its possible for cocci to be present without bloody poo depending on the strain. If your certain you saw blood I'd be on the safe side and treat with corid. I wish you the best of luck.

Thanks, all, for the replies. The weather has been so profoundly unusual that I was wondering if conditions might allow for a new strain they haven't been exposed to, to 'pop up.' Having never seen lining, I have little confidence in my ability to discern between the two! However, the pics I saw online do seem to support blood and there was quite a bit of it. However, the normal poops this morning threw me - it seems like it would seem strange to be able to have a normal poop within a day of a bloody one if cocci were the culprit. I'm going to watch closely for the remainder of the day/tomorrow morning and if anything at all is off I'll treat. Hopefully it was lining. Thanks again for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom