Bloody watery Poop!?

Aug 18, 2022
Massachusetts
One of my hens just pooped in front of me and it’s bloody and watery. I don’t know which hen as they were clustered together in front of me eating treats. What does this mean? What should I do?

They are all one year old. I keep the coop fairly clean and they are well taken care of. They have a semi-large run and get one hour of supervised free range time daily. Breeds are Sussex, Brahma and australorp.

How do you treat with Corid? Also should I feed them a medicated check feed? Does that help too?
Medicated chick feed will help prevent cocci at a young age, but won't help them much if at all now as adults. Here's the dosage for Corid if you decide that's what your chicken has. Here also is a poop chart with pictures. Blood in a cecal poop could happen but those poops reek and you'd know the difference by smell alone. https://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=17568.0

Attachments

• Corid dosage chart.jpg
    Corid dosage chart.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 12
I fed all my chicks for the first several weeks of life a medicated chick feed.
Doesn’t that prevent this? It’s a year later and they can still get it? Thank you!!!
It happens whenever their system is overrun with coccia protozoa. After a year it is less common because they will have built up a resistance, but it still can happen if the conditions are right.

You can get corid at tractor supply, or whichever feed store you use should have it. Don't follow the directions on the bottle, though, that is for cattle. The table above had dosing.

I fed all my chicks for the first several weeks of life a medicated chick feed.
Doesn’t that prevent this? It’s a year later and they can still get it? Thank you!!!
Also with medicated feed they have to be exposed to the soil. The medication in the feed helps them build up a resistant to it. If you feed medicated feed while they are only in the brooder it will do nothing if not exposed to coccidia.

Back
Top Bottom