Bloody poop!

Jun 27, 2020
I noticed today that one of my hens has blood in her poop, she’s 15 weeks old. I’m wondering if it’s a sign that she’s laid her first egg somewhere or is about too? Or if this is caused by something completely different with her poop being so runny.
I also noticed she had a string of (I’m assuming blood) coming from her behind earlier but I couldn’t get to her to check it out.

Attachments

• 8F83EE66-2563-4F77-97A3-E2A8E71CA3AF.jpeg
    8F83EE66-2563-4F77-97A3-E2A8E71CA3AF.jpeg
    969.2 KB · Views: 20
I would get some Corid and treat the whole flock for coccidiosis immediately... at 15 weeks she probably isn’t laying eggs; she has 5 to 6 more weeks to go. At this age coccidiosis is the likely culprit..... as far as a “string” coming out of the vent I would check poop for roundworms or her vent for a prolapse.

That looks like intestinal lining, not coccidiosis or roundworm. Intestinal lining shedding is normal. Are you seeing any other signs of illness/off behavior that makes you think that the bird(s) are ill?
All of the birds are acting the same as they always have, all still eating and being very social. I will keep a close eye on them! Thank you! I appreciate your reply :)

Just for reference, coccidiosis presenting poops are usually more evenly bloody, like blood is dispersed through it, or even blood splatter looking like something from a horror film. Birds will often be lethargic, pale combs, etc.

Back
Top Bottom