Jun 27, 2020
I noticed today that one of my hens has blood in her poop, she’s 15 weeks old. I’m wondering if it’s a sign that she’s laid her first egg somewhere or is about too? Or if this is caused by something completely different with her poop being so runny.
I also noticed she had a string of (I’m assuming blood) coming from her behind earlier but I couldn’t get to her to check it out.

Attachments

Aapomp831

Crowing
Oct 4, 2017
Lincolnton, NC
I would get some Corid and treat the whole flock for coccidiosis immediately... at 15 weeks she probably isn’t laying eggs; she has 5 to 6 more weeks to go. At this age coccidiosis is the likely culprit..... as far as a “string” coming out of the vent I would check poop for roundworms or her vent for a prolapse.

Jun 27, 2020
That looks like intestinal lining, not coccidiosis or roundworm. Intestinal lining shedding is normal. Are you seeing any other signs of illness/off behavior that makes you think that the bird(s) are ill?
All of the birds are acting the same as they always have, all still eating and being very social. I will keep a close eye on them! Thank you! I appreciate your reply :)

rosemarythyme

Crossing the Road
Jul 3, 2016
WA, Pac NW
My Coop
Just for reference, coccidiosis presenting poops are usually more evenly bloody, like blood is dispersed through it, or even blood splatter looking like something from a horror film. Birds will often be lethargic, pale combs, etc.

Top Bottom