Blue Laced Red Wyndotte chicks growing progress

Okay, here is a 5 week old update. I've really noticed a pronounced comb starting to develop on chicks 2 and 4. Although it's yellow/pink in color it's much different than that of the other two.. no evidence of wattles at this time. Any thoughts?? Should I be thinking I have two roo's?

Chick 1

Chick 2

Chick 3

Chick 4

Last edited:
Hello again MrChicken204

They are coming along nicely and growing so quickly!

Sorry any guesses on my part would be just that and I do not want to disappoint or get your hopes up so will leave it to the experts.

Hello again MrChicken204

They are coming along nicely and growing so quickly!

Sorry any guesses on my part would be just that and I do not want to disappoint or get your hopes up so will leave it to the experts.

Thanks for the reply, I'm right there with ya... patiently waiting and hoping!

Here's a 6 week old update. I'm getting highly suspect of chick 2 and 4 in regards to the combs and wattles coming in, they are still a yellowish pink color but have grown fast over the last two weeks. Overall the chicks seem to be growing quickly and the lacing is starting to become more pronounced. Does the color look blue or more black??

Chick 1

Chick 2

Chick 3

Chick 4

Hello there, and welcome to the coop! I am so glad you decided to join the flock and I hope you'll make yourself at home here! :frow

~Cuz

Hello again MrChicken204

Just for fun and please do not make any decisions based on my guesses but I will share what I am thinking.

Chick 1 – Girl
Chick 2 – Boy
Chick 3 – tough one! If I had to call it, Girl
Chick 4 – Boy

Hello again MrChicken204

Just for fun and please do not make any decisions based on my guesses but I will share what I am thinking.

Chick 1 – Girl
Chick 2 – Boy
Chick 3 – tough one!  If I had to call it, Girl
Chick 4 – Boy

Thanks Teila! This is what I'm thinking as well. I've heard the BLRW are especially hard to sex, but the last two pullets I bought sprouted combs and wattles really early like #2 and #4 and turned out to be roo's.

Here are some pictures from the move outside:

Chick 2

Chick 3

Chick 4

Group pic

Last edited:
Week 7 here. Definitely seeing what I think are Roo traits in chicks 2 and 4. Also not completely convinced I even have any BLRW. The colors seem much more golden and black like a GLW..Any thoughts?

Chick 1

Chick 2

Chick 3

Chick 4

ChickNanny,

Those are beautiful birds! I don't seem to have nearly the type of lacing as your birds yet. I'm hoping as they get older that may improve some but I'm becoming disappointed in this group of chicks. They may turn out really pretty but I agree they are much more of a black bird than a true blue. I guess we will wait and see how they turn out... regardless they will lay eggs in the end(if I have pullets) and that's all that matters.

Back
Top Bottom