Blue Orpington Roo!

EweSheep

Flock Mistress
14 Years
Jan 12, 2007
Land of Lincoln
GordieBlueOrpRoo.jpg

I went and bought this Blue Orp rooster for my two older pullets and this years pullets for next years hatching eggs. Hopefully I would have enough girls for one doz eggs next spring! The roo is from the guy out East..will get his name eventually and crossed with the girls who were from CAtalupa Farms.

Shipping money was a killer...that bird is HEAVY!

Speckledhen and Julie, I still want hatching eggs from you next spring...to cross with this roo or one of his sons. At least I dont have to worry about inbreeding too much.

I bet he was expensive to ship! Nice looking boy. Wow, I had to pick up Suede today because he and Hawkeye were fussing through the fence and Hawk caught his wattle and it was bleeding. I can imagine how much that cost you!
I sure do want some hatching eggs from you when they start laying, Robin. I want my gene pool mixed up some too. At least Skye is from a different place than Velvet and Suede, but I'd like to get some blood from your crew as well.

Well, I think he is great looking. Why don't we just swap eggs and that will give us both some new blood lines and I will be able to give you some from three different groups of Roos and hens. Julie

Great idea! I hope I can get Speckledhen and Julies eggs at the same time or that same week all at once.

Good idea to have different bloodlines! I am hoping to see if I can get some blues out of white rocks and white orpingtons too but not sure what I will end up. Also we might experiment with buff x blue orp crosses and see how they come out.

Shipping was expensive...well over fifty dollars and perhaps a hernia or two on postmasters LOL!

Good news! Velvet is laying again! Yipppeeeeeee!!!!! Six weeks off and now she's decided she will grace me with her sweet little eggs again. What a little diva she is! I think mixing up those gene pools is a wonderful idea, Robin and with your Catalpa Farms group, we can get it done for sure. Sounds like a great plan.

Miss Prissy you are welcome to put your name on the list for next years eggs...our girls are not laying yet, under heavy molt and it would take four weeks for them to become fertile after the girls start laying. I will experiment with fertitilty first before any BYCer get them, just to be sure! I know he is an experienced breeder and produced beautiful chicks but who knows with my girls.

I have enough incubators and can build more. All of you put me on the egg list ASAP!

Cyn, I don't think any of the eggs from Skye are viable. I have candled them and I cannot see anything at all that looks like anything growing.
sad.png

Silver's eggs are growing to beat the band! I can see inside very well and they look amazing so far. Charlottes - not so much.

Well, I have good news for you, though. If for some reason, Skye's eggs aren't doing anything this time, VELVET LAID AN EGG TODAY! WooHOOO! She's back in the game! That means you'll get some of hers next time, provided she keeps going. Dont know why Charlotte's wouldn't grow unless it has something to do with where they were in the box when I mailed them. I know hers are fertile for sure because that's her little one in my brooder. Anyway, we'll get you some babies one way or another from these Blue Orps. Still, now that makes me worry about Skye. Suede mates her all the time and I know he's fertile. Oh, boy, if it's not one thing, it's another.

Well give her some time and she will produce some chickies.....sometimes the big fluff on their behinds can deter the mating successful. Although, she is young.....

Try to incubate more future eggs and I am sure you will get some good ones next year!

Back
Top Bottom