Boar Coon in Neighbors Mobile Henhouse: My Dog and I Respond

centrarchid

Crossing the Road
14 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Holts Summit, Missouri
Very early this morning my dog (Scoob) went out and as he sometimes does ran to neighbors about 1/8 mile away. I could hear Scoob through screened window as he barked tree on something. I was groggy and location was neighbors so did not get up and fell back asleep. Sometime after dog came back, came in through door jumped up on bed and began to do the "Lassy thing" where he whines a lot and tries to get me to follow him. I grudgingly got up, very partially dressed, grabbed flash lite and followed Scoob as he barreled back to neighbors. Neighbor has a menagerie of chickens (Jersey Giant x Shamo), peafowl, ducks and geese. Waterfowl were stirred up and a chicken was squalling it's last breaths. Neighbors birds are in three locations on a 5-acre patch; waterfowl free range between 2 ponds (not enclosed), a large covered run about 30' x 45' x 10', and mobile roost attached to perimeter of electrified poultry fencing. Neighbor does not live on site although house is under construction. The mobile roost was considered varmint proof when locked up which it was on this occasion. As I approached Scoob was running back and forth between mobile roost and larger pond where waterfowl were raising a commotion as well. Scoob was tracking with nose a popping apparently trying to line out cause of commotion. As typical Scoob goes off on one track while I deal with another. My track lead to boar coon in the mobile roost. Coon was finishing the killing of one the big Jersey Giant x Shamo hens (two more hens and rooster also present and dinged up a bit). Upon seeing this I called Scoob back which took him a minute to respond to since he appeared to be working a hot track himself. When Scoob got back he resumed barking tree and tried to get into mobile roost from underneath but he could not fit. My intentions were to give the coon an arse whooping so I proceeded to back to get into access door so either I or Scoob could get in and give coon some loving. Scoob got picture as to what was to happen and got all excited next to me as he prepared to dive through roost door. Then more commotion and I could see coon running out from under roost and across Field. I placed beam of light on coon and hollered at Scoob to "get em" and Scoob was after it in a flash. Coon had a 100' head start but Scoob got up on it before the coon could go another 75'. Chase went under a barnyard light where everything was clear. When Scoob intercepted he briefly tackled coon and both took a roll on the gravel. Both got up and coon did the ole-raise-your-butt-up-and-drop-your-head routine to look big and tried to bluff Scoob. I was barreling in at that point with intent on playing kick-the-coon and coon was apparently taking that into consideration as it turned tail again and ran another 30' or so to get under some storage tanks. Scoob chewed coon's butt a little before the varmint got under. Coon was not accessible after that but it was a bit sore. I called Scoob off and we checked balance of chickens in mobile roost to see how coon got in. I could not see opening. Later this morning I will have to relate to neighbor what happened. Raccoon appeared to be about 20 lbs which is about right for an adult male this time of year. I was close enough to see nads to determine sex. When we got back Scoob ran about and checked on all his chickens in their respective pens and roosts all over the property. He sniffed a few buts in the juvenile roost and knocked over another waterer to a breeder pen in process. All was good with Scoob's chickens! As I finished typing this, Scoob is on bed with infant son, listening through window and sampling air with his nose waiting for next visitor.

Last edited:
Cool -- your neighbor sure has a good neighbor. Nothing like starting your morning out with a bit of boar-coon arse whoopin' with your morning cup-O-joe.

Yay for Scoob! I had a dog much like Scoob. He was so serious about protecting the flock.

I hope my dog responds the same way when our chicks arrive!
It takes a little encouragement and actual experience for the dog. Usual challengers (red fox, oppossum, hawks) are less capable than racoon when it comes to getting into our poultry confinement systems and in respect to fighting back when cornered. My dog worked his way up and first encounters with raccoons did not involve physical contact. If dog young and gets into a coon too fast, then it (dog) can get hurt and not be willing to take on coons later.

Also my role should not be overlooked. Dog could not get to coon until I intervened. We as poultry owners need to be more vigilant and respond to cries of poultry (in this case squawling) as many losses occur because we fail to engage predator. Raccoon in the case was actually more scared of me and rightfully so as we may have had an interaction before on my property. Problem we get into is that we fail to put varmint into place when they visit. A sign of this when they keep coming back and they just waddle, not run when we go out and turn on lights. I have not killed a single raccoon in three years nor trapped any, yet they do not cause me losses as the critters have learned some chicken flocks are a risky propect. YThe raccoons seem to avoid areas where my dog patrols heavily and that very effectively encompasses where flocks range.

Last edited:
Got A Raccoon But.........

.......not the same one. I got home around 2300 (11:00 PM) from cray-fishing to find Scoob running about like a mad dog. He was running in a big repeated loop around all locations where chickens are snoozing away night plus included neighbors where I could see from a distance in beam of flash lite Scoob's eyes glowing blue as he really got into sniffing about that location. Being dullard I thought little of it and was resigned to going to bed but Scoob caught me as I went inside and tried to get me to follow him like a couple nights before. Something was up. Then I heard another chicken squawl from neighbor's mobile roost contraption where neighbor had a baited (with dead chicken) live-trap. The coon was back. I ran inside, changed into dry clothing that was from days when I was a bit bigger around the middle and collected 0.22 rifle with one long shell, and two left slippers. Then in a hurry I followed Scoob to roost where raccoon was located. First I saw it most recent victim with skin and fat plus a little breast muscle removed from under where feather used to be. Then I saw coon trying to hide above and behind the battery of nest boxes. Scoob knew where coon was located but too much metal was in way. I resolved to get in there and tried for a several minutes but could not figure how to get past the nest boxes. So I began to torment coon by beating on nest box and poking its feet. I was also encouraging Scoob with some quality "backwoods hick" terms I had not used since leaving home. Scoob was ready to go! Then the coon let its foot down where I could touch it, and yank it without getting bit. So I did and coon jumped down and attempted to go out other side where I might be able to get a shot off. I could not get a clean shot even though coon was not 6 feet from me. Scoob could see coon now and was growling and yipping while trying to get through fence and even jumping backwards a couple times. I tried to help Scoob by pushing fence down but quickly found out why Scoob was bouncing back; darn fence was hot. In the excitement I forget about solar charger. I took a minute to figure how to disable while Scoob kept coon from coming out. After getting a little more juice while hitting off switch, the power was off and I could press rifle through fencing to get an almost clean shot. Shot was good knocking coon down. After crossing fence and finally getting into roost I began to notice the coon did not look right, it was smaller than I recalled from nights before. I pulled it by tail and threw it out where Scoob could get his bites and shakes in as part of reward for his efforts. He tenderized it pretty good by time I got out and restored power to fence proudly without getting shocked again. Upon closer inspection it looked a little under twenty pounds and was female. More than one coon is working those birds so this is not over yet. Freshly killed hen was placed in with other already in the trap that was already set off by coon earlier. The chicken filled trap and dead coon where placed on top of roost for neighbor to see and deal with promptly tomorrow. For those who say they can sleep soundly after taking out a varmint, I say hogwash! I am too wired to sleep and Scoob is not much better.

Ha ha.....Thats a good read, thanks for sharing. Think you might have to move your bed. Your story made me smile 'cause I can relate to it. My "Protector" weighs in at 84kg or in your langauge... 185lb, and when she says ... "Come.. NOW" we go. Although she is a monster she can move very fast, and when she gets a head of steam up in the middle of the night, nothing is safe.

Cheers...........The Dog

Back
Top Bottom