ChickenGirl555

Crowing
5 Years
Oct 22, 2017
Wisconsin
My Coop
My Coop
I have 6 pullets that are 7 months old and now they walk up to me and peck me and act as if I’m not some mean human but one of them.

They didn’t act like this as chicks. They were scared and freaked out even when I looked into their brooding bin.

Luckily as they matured and came out of the brooder, they slowly turned into the friendly, happy chickens they are now.

But it had taken a while for them to BECOME so friendly. I wanted them to enjoy being around me as chicks.

Now I’m getting 4 polish chicks in the first week of April, and I don’t want to have to wait until they’re 4 months for them to be comfortable around me. I will be raising them in the same set up, but I want to try some new bonding techniques. I’m also going to try and get them outside earlier in their life since our harsh winter is starting to fade away here.

Any tips, techniques, or opinions on having my chicks being more comfortable with me at an early age is appreciated!

Always,always get their attention with Feed.I act as a mother hen,or maybe they look to me as a father,since I am a male.I call them and peep when I find food.Hand feed,and hold.Once I get them outside after a few days in a huge opened dog kennel outside I begin free ranging,at this stage their usually three weeks or four weeks,depends on when I wanna start.Next thing you know I have chicks following me like I’m their mom.Lots of times they sleep on my lap.Defiantly hold and throw feed on your lap and around your body,maybe even try my mother hen method.

I would also seek out some of the most friendliest birds in your flock and put them with your young birds while outside so they can see how easy going and friendly you are.Always let my friendly birds show my young birds how things work

I would also seek out some of the most friendliest birds in your flock and put them with your young birds while outside so they can see how easy going and friendly you are.Always let my friendly birds show my young birds how things work
Do you think 1 pullet would harm the chicks? I have a pretty friendly and shy buff orpington, but she is totally energetic and happy around me. Her name’s Nugget.

Pullets tend to be more childish around chicks.Meaning they tend to be more aggressive cause to them,their just children just like them.You can try and see.My mature hens do better.

I also have found that greeting them slowly is best too. This is my 2nd year with a flock of chicks and I’m trying extra hard with my new ones, I try to pick them all up and even when they don’t want me to. I hope that’s ok as I’m no expert but If I avoided them when they ran I would never get to spend time with them! I also lay my arm down in the brooder and just sit still for a bit and before I realize it they r all running around my hand! Good luck, I need it too cause this is a hard subject for sure!

I'm finding that feeding them the first meal of the day has helped tremondously. The ducks hear the tub water go on and they are becoming used to that and associating it with swimming.

Back
Top Bottom