Pics
I'm more interested in seeing what conditions the parent stock might carry. So I think whenever possible genetic testing is a good thing. It's quite reasonable these days.

https://www.vet.cornell.edu/departm...ealth-information/benefits-canine-dna-testing

Knowing if a dog is a carrier for things like DM, or the MDR1 gene can help me be prepared, or again choose not to get a dog from that breeder. I personally don't get breeds where hips and elbows are important, but if I was getting a lab, golden, or definitely a German shepherd it would be helpful to know where the parents are. It doesn't guarantee anything, but it might make me choose another breeder based on the results.

That being said, it isn't a deal breaker for me personally. I've gotten many dogs over the years way before all the testing was done, and it hasn't been an issue. I guess it depends what's important to a person.
I definitely think health testing is important! my question was more about the rare breeds that don’t really have any known health issues, what issues would you want tested for? Since for most breeds what tests they do is picked by how many dogs are affected by it
Yeah good points! And sadly the genetic testing does not seem to be very common. It seems to be mostly BYBs that do it and usually in lieu of other testing like hips etc. so it’s sad. I wish more would do it.
It really common from what I have seen, for byb, puppy mills and good breeders. Though I haven’t put in any efforts to check the tests
So would y’all buy from them or nah?
I wouldn’t

I've gotten 2 show quality bred Australian shepherds and they have had health problems. Well bred can mean different things to different people. We always use that term, but it isn't really definable. There can people breeding their dogs that are doing the right things but they are considered BYB's by standards. Lots of show breeding can be shady too. I guess the terminology gets me.

When we bought our border collie we bought from a man who bred for the working qualities. I would consider that a good breeder even though there was no testing at that time. He only bred occasionally, but he knew his breed.

I don't mind BYB if they know what they are doing. Most of mine came from BYB. Some worked their dogs like the coonhounds and others didn't.

So maybe I don't understand what people think a good breeder looks like. Papers and titles? Testing? Working qualities?
To me it’s health testing and breeding towards something whether that’s working, show, dog sports (different than work to me), etc. and they don’t necessarily have to have titles as long as they’re proving them somehow because real work is different. I also do not see anything wrong with purpose bred mixes as long as they’re health testing and proving them somehow. A lot of people will say any mix breeder is unethical but not me. As long as they’re not just doing nothing with the dogs and only breeding for money and no health testing or anything. They don’t even necessarily have to look like a show dog because working bred dogs are often split anyway and will look different.

Last edited:
I've gotten 2 show quality bred Australian shepherds and they have had health problems. Well bred can mean different things to different people. We always use that term, but it isn't really definable. There can people breeding their dogs that are doing the right things but they are considered BYB's by standards. Lots of show breeding can be shady too. I guess the terminology gets me.

When we bought our border collie we bought from a man who bred for the working qualities. I would consider that a good breeder even though there was no testing at that time. He only bred occasionally, but he knew his breed.

I don't mind BYB if they know what they are doing. Most of mine came from BYB. Some worked their dogs like the coonhounds and others didn't.

So maybe I don't understand what people think a good breeder looks like. Papers and titles? Testing? Working qualities?

Some form of registration to verify that the doh is pure (if it is being sold to you as such). Stable temperament, working ability included, health, conformation. On the breeder's part, willingness to take the dog back at any given time in the dog's life if need be, be interested in their dogs throughout their lives, providing support and guidance for the owners. As we saw yesterday, a contract isn't the end all be all, and by itself is not an indicator of a good breeder. You can be a show breeder and not be a good one. You can be a working breeder and not be a good one. Titles, papers, working ability don't mean anything by themselves

I definitely think health testing is important! my question was more about the rare breeds that don’t really have any known health issues, what issues would you want tested for? Since for most breeds what tests they do is picked by how many dogs are affected by it

It really common from what I have seen, for byb, puppy mills and good breeders. Though I haven’t put in any efforts to check the tests

I wouldn’t
I haven’t seen many good breeders do it here, unfortunately. But I haven’t looked into a ton.

And thanks!!

I personally don't care as much as others do about testing. Probably because I'm old school. For those that are interested there is options.

I think there are breed specific tests. Some need eyes tested, some hips, some need genetic testing. All this testing is relatively new and didn't exist when I was younger beyond hips, eyes and heart, and those were only done by show breeders.

Back
Top Bottom