Pics
I personally don't care as much as others do about testing. Probably because I'm old school. For those that are interested there is options.

I think there are breed specific tests. Some need eyes tested, some hips, some need genetic testing. All this testing is relatively new and didn't exist when I was younger beyond hips, eyes and heart, and those were only done by show breeders.
Now they test sooo much. Elbows, patellas, EIC, MDR1, etc. lol

I've gotten 2 show quality bred Australian shepherds and they have had health problems. Well bred can mean different things to different people. We always use that term, but it isn't really definable. There can people breeding their dogs that are doing the right things but they are considered BYB's by standards. Lots of show breeding can be shady too. I guess the terminology gets me.

When we bought our border collie we bought from a man who bred for the working qualities. I would consider that a good breeder even though there was no testing at that time. He only bred occasionally, but he knew his breed.

I don't mind BYB if they know what they are doing. Most of mine came from BYB. Some worked their dogs like the coonhounds and others didn't.

So maybe I don't understand what people think a good breeder looks like. Papers and titles? Testing? Working qualities?

I would say well bred and a good breeder is breeding for health and a purpose, and not breeding for money. Dogs that come from a "BYB" that live a long healthy life and without genetic health or temperament issues I would consider well bred.

I've gotten 2 show quality bred Australian shepherds and they have had health problems. Well bred can mean different things to different people. We always use that term, but it isn't really definable. There can people breeding their dogs that are doing the right things but they are considered BYB's by standards. Lots of show breeding can be shady too. I guess the terminology gets me.

When we bought our border collie we bought from a man who bred for the working qualities. I would consider that a good breeder even though there was no testing at that time. He only bred occasionally, but he knew his breed.

I don't mind BYB if they know what they are doing. Most of mine came from BYB. Some worked their dogs like the coonhounds and others didn't.

So maybe I don't understand what people think a good breeder looks like. Papers and titles? Testing? Working qualities?
To me show quality doesn’t equal wellbred

what I would consider a good breeder does change between working (herding/personal protection/search/assistance/etc) and companion (pet/show/sports)

companion
-I would want them to either show or do sports because if they don’t do these things it can be very easy to breed a dog with unhealthy structure and you could go ”barn blind” with your dogs
-I would also except health testing and 1-2 litters a year at max
-some not all dogs in the pedigree to be titled

working dogs
-most of the dogs would need to be actually working
-depending on what health tests, I would either want the parents to have been tested or most of the dog in the pedigree to be tested
-depending on what they are breeding for, more 2+ litters would be okay to me

there is a lot more other things I would look at

I would say well bred and a good breeder is breeding for health and a purpose, and not breeding for money. Dogs that come from a "BYB" that live a long healthy life and without genetic health or temperament issues I would consider well bred.
Also the breeder should keep their dogs in clean conditions, treat them well, and not over breed the dogs.

Back
Top Bottom