box badly damaged in shipping eggs ebay

update. seller feels not her fault talk to the post office she seems to care less how upset i am not even a i am sorry your box arrived like that .I opened a dispute my feeling is i bought from her not the post office its not the end of her responsibility once it leaves her hands is my opinion.its the end when it arrives to me. any one have any thoughts on this.i would sure like to know how others feel if they were in this situation.good or bad what are your thoughts thank you.
I disagree. Once it leaves her hands it is no longer her responsibility as long as she has packaged and shipped them in a reasonable manner. I had ordered a workbook for my son for school...seller shipped it, made it to my post office even showed that it was delivered. It never found it's way to my mailbox or house. I would never expect the seller to send me another and take a loss for something that was the post office's fault. One reason I have not ordered shipped eggs, it's too risky for the price.

Well, I know as an egg seller I don't like it when I get blamed for what the post office does to my eggs. I package them as carefully as I can and make sure they are snug and do my best to make sure they can get to their destination safely. But once I turn them over to the post office it is literally out of my hands. There is nothing I can do from that point on to make sure they reach their destination safe.

Also, it would be your responsibility to open the claim with the post office, since you are the one that would be receiving the money for the compensation. The seller did also put in the listing that this was a possibility, it sounds like from what you're saying in your post, so you knew when you bid on them that this could happen. It sounds like the seller isn't handling it well, and I certainly would have been more apologetic if these were my eggs and I probably would have offered to send more, but it sounds like her packaging was fine since none broke and this really was just a case of the post office doing something to the box that was way out of their control.

By opening a claim you are asking the seller to pay for probably the shipping I imagine, which is money right out of their pocket, and also to forfeit all the money they spent taking care of those birds to get them to lay those eggs that they sold probably in an effort to recoup some costs of taking care of the birds. Not trying to make you feel bad, just trying to show what the seller's perspective is.

Also, I'm not sure that you'll win your claim. It sounds like the seller sent you the eggs you were promised, packed them as best as they could, and put right in their listing that they are not responsible for what the post office does to the eggs after they ship them, which means you were aware that this could happen and agreed to it when you bid. Or at least that's what it'll look like to anyone who reviews the claim.

But yes, the seller is handling this poorly. I would have been really apologetic had these been my eggs and probably offered to ship more for the cost of shipping, but I would't have opened a claim with the post office for my buyer, that would be the buyer's responsibility.

Also, you might try putting them in the incubator. You might be surprised. I just had a shipment go to Hawaii thanks to a post office mess up before it reached me. All the eggs but one, even though they took a weeklong detour to the state that is the farthest away from mine possible and crossed an ocean, and the box got a nice big dent in it on the corner like yours in the process, developed.

Well, I know as an egg seller I don't like it when I get blamed for what the post office does to my eggs. I package them as carefully as I can and make sure they are snug and do my best to make sure they can get to their destination safely. But once I turn them over to the post office it is literally out of my hands. There is nothing I can do from that point on to make sure they reach their destination safe.

Also, it would be your responsibility to open the claim with the post office, since you are the one that would be receiving the money for the compensation. The seller did also put in the listing that this was a possibility, it sounds like from what you're saying in your post, so you knew when you bid on them that this could happen. It sounds like the seller isn't handling it well, and I certainly would have been more apologetic if these were my eggs and I probably would have offered to send more, but it sounds like her packaging was fine since none broke and this really was just a case of the post office doing something to the box that was way out of their control.

By opening a claim you are asking the seller to pay for probably the shipping I imagine, which is money right out of their pocket, and also to forfeit all the money they spent taking care of those birds to get them to lay those eggs that they sold probably in an effort to recoup some costs of taking care of the birds. Not trying to make you feel bad, just trying to show what the seller's perspective is.

Also, I'm not sure that you'll win your claim. It sounds like the seller sent you the eggs you were promised, packed them as best as they could, and put right in their listing that they are not responsible for what the post office does to the eggs after they ship them, which means you were aware that this could happen and agreed to it when you bid. Or at least that's what it'll look like to anyone who reviews the claim.

But yes, the seller is handling this poorly. I would have been really apologetic had these been my eggs and probably offered to ship more for the cost of shipping, but I would't have opened a claim with the post office for my buyer, that would be the buyer's responsibility.

Also, you might try putting them in the incubator. You might be surprised. I just had a shipment go to Hawaii thanks to a post office mess up before it reached me. All the eggs but one, even though they took a weeklong detour to the state that is the farthest away from mine possible and crossed an ocean, and the box got a nice big dent in it on the corner like yours in the process, developed.
yes you are probably right i have them in the incubator if they turn out to be fertile i certainly would not want anything from the seller maby opening a case was a little premature i wrote the seller 3 times each time i felt like it made it worse.i was not getting a any feeling from the seller of any remorse for my what i feel is loss.

yes you are probably right i have them in the incubator if they turn out to be fertile i certainly would not want anything from the seller maby opening a case was a little premature i wrote the seller 3 times each time i felt like it made it worse.i was not getting a any feeling from the seller of any remorse for my what i feel is loss.

I guess I'm a little confused here now on what you think you lost - if none of the eggs are damaged, none broke in shipping, and they are in the incubator now and you don't know if they are developing yet, what do you feel you have lost? I was thinking you had thought the eggs were too scrambled to hatch or something like that, but all that has happened so far is a dented box? If that is the case I would say it's way too early to have filed a dispute, and I can understand why the seller wouldn't have offered to resend eggs if the only thing damaged was the box.

Last edited:
I just received my first two orders of shipped eggs that traveled 2000 miles, and the first batch arrived a day late after routing to the wrong postal distribution center. The second box had a big dent in it too.

I let the eggs rest 24 hours, then set them in the turners and started incubation. I am showing 80% fertility for sure, the other 20% it's still too early to be certain due to shell pigmentation.

Shipping eggs is certainly not ideal. Nor is shipping chicks. Neither come with a guarantee that no damage will be done in transit.

If you have a 50% hatch of shipped eggs, it is considered successful. More than that is very successful. I'm sorry you didn't feel that the seller was sympathetic to your concerns, but at the same time, you don't even know yet if there is an issue. No broken eggs indicates that the packaging was very good. Thank your seller, and set your eggs.

i am a little new to hatching eggs this is my 5th order of shipped eggs with most of them turning out to be saddle shaped air sack and very few hatching.i suppose i feel from the looks of this box no chance of getting any to hatch. i hope i am wrong.

Lots of people get saddle shaped air cells on shipped eggs (I have several in progress) and many hatch just as any "normal" air cell. Are you successful with local, non-shipped eggs?

i have only hatched shipped eggs to this point.and have not done this long,so my incubating skills could also be partial fault.but i believe my incubators are calibrated well.i triple check everything.

It absolutely is not the seller's fault that the Post Office damaged the box. Buying shipped eggs is always a risk. Frankly, I think it was petty of you to open a dispute with this seller just because they didn't apologize for the post office's poor handling of the eggs. If you win, the seller will lose the income from the eggs and the shipping cost. That's just wrong, in my opinion. We sell things on ebay and we had one buyer who claimed they didn't get their package. We called the post office, checked the tracking number and found out that the package was tracked right to that person's mailbox. Didn't matter. We lost the dispute, so not only were we out what we paid for the item, we were also out the shipping and the income. People like that give ebay a bad name. Maybe next time you want to try hatching eggs, you should look for them locally and drive to pick them up. Just realize that most of the time, you don't get a 100% hatch, so please don't go after the poor person you bought them from if some don't hatch.

i would be happy if 2 hatch out of the 6.i don't expect a lot from shipped eggs but would like to feel there is a chance to start with.

Back
Top Bottom