Brahma Breeders thread

Pics
Not at all..I welcome the advice...but what is "refined crow head"? lol
Normally, a brahma has a very distinctive, predator like thick skull with heavy beetle brows. That is generally what we are all breeding towards. When we say that they have a crow head, it means that their heads are more refined, not as wide and don't have the predator look or brow. It is hard to explain what it looks like unless you've seen it, but maybe this explanation helps.

From my 1947 Standard of Perfection
The head and crown are important breed characteristics.
Beak: Stout, well-curved.
Head: Of medium length, deep, broad; crown projecting well over eyes.

Couple of my birds showing width and brow.

And a couple paintings showing proper, well everything. Notice the shorter, curved beaks compared to some other breeds.

Thank you both. That's what i thought you were talking about, but I call it a Cro-Magnon brow, like a caveman. lol My Gold Laced definitely are good on that one. I know my Blue Partridge isn't perfect by any means but i haven't seen many that were. I am going to try to work toward bettering them though. :)

This probably isn't where I should ask for this advice, but I have a wee bit of a problem.

I don't get to see my granddaughter very often, maybe once a month if I'm lucky. She helped me collect eggs when she was here 3 weeks ago (you're guessing what's coming aren't you?) and she begged me to incubate the eggs she collected. So, today is hatch day. Of course, I couldn't say no to her. Anyway, so far, only one of the three has hatched. One looks like it was a quitter and the other that hasn't hatched looked good at lock down. I am so afraid that I'm going to have a lone chick here to raise, and I've never raised only one before. No options about getting another chick or two from a neighbor, nobody is hatching at the moment.

Does anyone have any advice? Keep in mind that she will be looking for this chick every time she comes to visit.

Hey, I'm a grandmother also. Sounds like you are going to have a very close pet if you end up with just one! "Two" grandchildren!

Thank you both. That's what i thought you were talking about, but I call it a Cro-Magnon brow, like a caveman. lol My Gold Laced definitely are good on that one. I know my Blue Partridge isn't perfect by any means but i haven't seen many that were. I am going to try to work toward bettering them though. :)

Working to improve our birds is a worthy, and lifelong mission for most of us.
thumbsup.gif

I'm hoping for some advice from the experts, please.

I know the pics aren't the best, but can you guys give me an opinion on the general form of these two Buff Brahma Bantam boys? Or would you need more complete pbotos? And if you can, which of them would you use to breed?

I tried to get some better pics. I would really appreciate a critique of any traits I should be breeding out. I thing they have pretty well defined double lobed skulls, or angry brows. :D And i included some booty beauty, just because I think this breed has to have one of the most gorgeous behinds ever.

I also got some pics of my one girl, so far. I'd like to see a little more junk in her trunk, but she's still young and I think she could fill out more by spring. Please ignore her dinner on her bosom.

Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom