rocking chickens

Songster
Dec 2, 2018
Will this work? Here is the calculator I used Chicken Plug-in Calculator.

To make eggs blue without beard and muff w/ pea comb

1. Brahma (Columbia light) over silver partridge Easter egger

2. Male F1 without ear tuft over Female F1 without ear tuft

3. Male F2 without beard over Female F1 without beard

4. Pure line of Blue egg Brahma from here

Blue egg Brahma x other Columbia-light breeds

1. Cross of blue egg Brahma and breed 1 with selected traits over breed

2. Cross F1 offspring

3. Cross pea comb feather foot blue egg over pea comb feather foot blue egg

4. Cross pea comb offspring

5. Pure line of Blue egg Brahma and breed from here
Thank you

4. Pure line of Blue egg Brahma from here
Good luck getting rid of the brown egg genes.

Part of the problem is that you cannot look at a rooster and tell whether it has one or two blue egg genes. With the hens you can guess what egg color genes she has based on the color of the egg she lays.

I think you would have better luck to cross a pea comb EE with a cream legbar. You can select for the pea comb from the offspring since pea comb is dominant. Your odds of having offspring carrying two blue egg genes will be excellent.

Good luck getting rid of the brown egg genes.

Part of the problem is that you cannot look at a rooster and tell whether it has one or two blue egg genes. With the hens you can guess what egg color genes she has based on the color of the egg she lays.

I think you would have better luck to cross a pea comb EE with a cream legbar. You can select for the pea comb from the offspring since pea comb is dominant. Your odds of having offspring carrying two blue egg genes will be excellent.
X2
Brown eggs are excessively difficult to get rid of. Not to mention that the EE may only have one blue egg gene.
I'd recommend crossing with anything with white or blue eggs.
Unfortunately because the calculator shows you the genes of the rooster, you select the one you want even though in real life it will be quite random. So you are led to believe that it is simpler than it actually is.

Back
Top Bottom