Bringing home a new cat tomorrow. What should I know?

Firstly check out Hannah Shaw (AKA The Kitten Lady) on YouTube for info on helping baby kittens. You may find some helpful info there.

- Provide mom with a small, quiet room for her delivery. Give her little places to hide with blankets and towels, she will want to take them somewhere quiet or give birth there. Keep an eye on her.
- Be very very careful, mom can be protective. Get her on a kitten food to help her milk production. They need warmth, make sure mom is staying with them to keep them warm.
- Once the babies are weaned, SPAY! Help prevent overpopulation and end the breeding cycle for her.
- If the babies thrive, then eventually contact a rescue to possibly help find homes for them. Do you have family or friend who may be interested as they age? Monitor their health carefully. Monitor mom for signs of distress at all.
- Not sure on breed she gives me American Shorthair mix vibes. DNA test would 100% it

Some quick thoughts. Keep us updated

Firstly check out Hannah Shaw (AKA The Kitten Lady) on YouTube for info on helping baby kittens. You may find some helpful info there.

- Provide mom with a small, quiet room for her delivery. Give her little places to hide with blankets and towels, she will want to take them somewhere quiet or give birth there. Keep an eye on her.
- Be very very careful, mom can be protective. Get her on a kitten food to help her milk production. They need warmth, make sure mom is staying with them to keep them warm.
- Once the babies are weaned, SPAY! Help prevent overpopulation and end the breeding cycle for her.
- If the babies thrive, then eventually contact a rescue to possibly help find homes for them. Do you have family or friend who may be interested as they age? Monitor their health carefully. Monitor mom for signs of distress at all.
- Not sure on breed she gives me American Shorthair mix vibes. DNA test would 100% it

Some quick thoughts. Keep us updated
Thanks for the recommendations I was looking for some channel. I have her nest box set in the washroom under the sink but she is not staying in there rn she comes on my bed and sleeps there I think the owner had her dates wrong and she will need atleast a week and a half or more. Alot of my friends and family want the kittens but I am not willing to give them to any of them because they don't realise the importance of spay and neutering. Will get her spayed definitely. Can't perform dna on her because I am saving up for more important stuff like the spay surgery or complications which hopefully won't occur. Will keep you guys updated.

Alot of my friends and family want the kittens but I am not willing to give them to any of them because they don't realise the importance of spay and neutering.
You could talk with the vet about how young it is safe to spay or neuter the kittens, and tell each person they can have a kitten only if the surgery happens (at their expense) before they get the kitten.

That way you wouldn't have to pay for spay/neuter on them all, but you could be sure it happens (rather than the new owners forgetting or not bothering.)

20220427_232729.jpg
The only pregnancy signs she is showing are
Enlarged and pink teats, purring alot and affection as her maternal instincts kick in, and inactivity and sleeping all day long. She also let's me touch and pet her belly she was being a bit sensitive about it when we first got her but she's fine now. His previous owner also told that he introduced her to 3 Persian toms. Judging by these symptoms how far along do u think she is? I know it's hard and almost impossible to tell from text and from pictures but I appreciate any advice.
Another question is I have a dog crate in which I kept a cat with panleukopenia in Feb 2022. It's somewhere stored I don't really know since we moved. I want to know if I can wash it thoroughly with bleach and water and use it for her? My parents want to use it for her while I insist not to.

View attachment 3081808The only pregnancy signs she is showing are
Enlarged and pink teats, purring alot and affection as her maternal instincts kick in, and inactivity and sleeping all day long. She also let's me touch and pet her belly she was being a bit sensitive about it when we first got her but she's fine now. His previous owner also told that he introduced her to 3 Persian toms. Judging by these symptoms how far along do u think she is? I know it's hard and almost impossible to tell from text and from pictures but I appreciate any advice.
Another question is I have a dog crate in which I kept a cat with panleukopenia in Feb 2022. It's somewhere stored I don't really know since we moved. I want to know if I can wash it thoroughly with bleach and water and use it for her? My parents want to use it for her while I insist not to.
I personally would just because you can not garentee washing it thoroughly. And it's highly contagious to kittens compared to adult cats. Idk that my opinion. But I am a germaphobe and dont take any chances

Another question is I have a dog crate in which I kept a cat with panleukopenia in Feb 2022. It's somewhere stored I don't really know since we moved. I want to know if I can wash it thoroughly with bleach and water and use it for her?
Based on a google search, that would probably work.
I'm finding pages that say bleach is a suitable disinfectant.

I'm also finding pages that say the virus can survive for a year or more on surfaces, so you definitely should disinfect the crate before using it.

After disinfecting, I would probably let it dry in direct sunlight just for good measure.
(Sunlight kills some kinds of germs, viruses, bacteria, etc. So sunlight after the bleach will do no harm and might help.)

I think the vet was right and she should be due within a week. She very well could be, in part, what we call an "Old world persian" here in the States. Its what persian cats looked like before someone decided smushed noses were "cute" and desireable. Ruined beautiful cats that did.

In the day time she had something sticking out of her vagina which was dark red and brownish like blood but thicker. It's happening again right now, in the evening. It's only a little bit not too much continuous bleeding. She has been a bit restless today and meowing and lazy. I am really worried for her. I have 0 history of her. I don't know if she's vaccinated or dewormed. I only know her age which is 1 year.

Back
Top Bottom