Brody hen stops laying

aemoody

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 6, 2013
I Have a hen who will be a year in June about two weeks ago went broody and has not laid an egg sense is this normal

Hi,

Yes, this is normal. They will also 'puff' up their feathers when you come near and will cluck alot. Nothing to worry about here. ; )

HS Pye

She is off the nest and has been for two weeks. We don't even have a roster. How long until they lay again?

Yup, some hens aren't 'loyal' to their nests :/. Some hens will go broody without a rooster there.

HS Pye

It is normal for a broody hen to stop laying....

You should look into breaking her broodiness. When she is broody she isn't eating as much or going to the bathroom as often as she should. Unless you want her to hatch an fertile egg you might want to stop her from being broody so she can start laying again. Some hens will stay broody until they hatch an egg.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-break-a-broody-hen

Hi,

Even if you do stop her from going broody. She will still most likely go through a molt which means it'll still take awhile for her to lay :/.

HS Pye

Thank you. I did stop her. Did not like the idea of putting them in water to cool off. We had a couple of cold spells her in the south. I just put her out on the roost and she got better but still not laying. Will keep an eye out. Thanks again. We are new to all of this chicken business but just love it!

Hi,

Even if you do stop her from going broody. She will still most likely go through a molt which means it'll still take awhile for her to lay
hmm.png

HS Pye

One broody hen can result in other hens to becoming broody.

Back
Top Bottom