DanielFreeman

In the Brooder
Aug 14, 2019
Hi, I have had ducks for a few years now. My female Rouen I have had is part of my original flock (4 years). On Sunday I noticed she had a broken/sprained wing as it was hanging down, I caught her and examined it, she didn’t have any visible break but she also didn’t have any strength in it so I decided to put her in a pen by herself to heal (I have done this with injured ducks before). I gave her food and water, she drank the first night but was not interested in the food. By day two she was still not eating, but drinking a little. This morning (Wednesday) she had passed away.
I she wasn’t particularly lethargic, she laid an egg while she was in there so not eggbound, I had her wing wrapped so that she wouldn’t injure it further.
I just feel so awful about this and I want to know if I could have done anything different. Or maybe I stressed her out too much. Please advice if you have it or support. We have lost one chicken and two other ducks this week (unrelated causes) so it has been very difficult for me.

Hi, I have had ducks for a few years now. My female Rouen I have had is part of my original flock (4 years). On Sunday I noticed she had a broken/sprained wing as it was hanging down, I caught her and examined it, she didn’t have any visible break but she also didn’t have any strength in it so I decided to put her in a pen by herself to heal (I have done this with injured ducks before). I gave her food and water, she drank the first night but was not interested in the food. By day two she was still not eating, but drinking a little. This morning (Wednesday) she had passed away.
I she wasn’t particularly lethargic, she laid an egg while she was in there so not eggbound, I had her wing wrapped so that she wouldn’t injure it further.
I just feel so awful about this and I want to know if I could have done anything different. Or maybe I stressed her out too much. Please advice if you have it or support. We have lost one chicken and two other ducks this week (unrelated causes) so it has been very difficult for me.
Sorry you're having such a rough time of it. No fun at all. I've been through that myself. It always hurts. Never gets easier. I love all my ducks also.

Back
Top Bottom