Broken leg an comb injury

Chick N Momma

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 12, 2013
Valatie, NY
I have a RIR that broke her leg last fall. I nursed her through the winter and since its been a LONG COLD winter, she's been indoors for almost 6 months! Mostly in the crate, occasionally I let her out, but typically she just stands around. She has full use of the leg, but limps. I can't tell if she really has all the feeling back in her foot. The weather has been a little warmer (not much) and the snow in the bigger chicken yard has all melted. So, I've let her out a couple of times to see how the other chickens would act around her. There's been some minor pecking which I expected, but she's handled it well. She was mounted by the 2 of the roosters (I have 3 roosters and 22 hens) a couple of times right straight out of the gate! As much as I wanted to keep them from doing that, I wanted to see if she could hold her own with them. She did. However, one of them punctured the comb and the other grabbed her so hard that he split the skin at the back edge of the comb where it attaches to her head. She was bleeding like a stuck pig! I separated the boys immediately and when I noticed all the blood, I brought her back inside and cleaned her up. I am pretty sure her comb bled so badly because it's so tender. She hasn't been out in the outside air for so long, so its not leathery like the others.

I don't think she's ready to go full time back into the coop. She gets around fine, but limps a bit and then stands off to the side after an hour or so on her good leg. I don't think she can jump up to the roosts either. She's been in my bathroom in a dog crate and I would really like to get her back in the coop. Should I build a low roost for her? I worry about just putting her out in a crate because it's still so cold outside. I worry that the others will pick on her because she's "lame". And I worry about her comb getting torn again when no one is around (I work a full time job).

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

What I would do is treat her as if she was a new hen coming into your flock. Which means separate her from the others, but be able to see her. Once they others get use to her being there, they won't be so rough on her. Boys tend to attack the first new female they can and they can really get rough.

So it's best to put her outside be in a confined cage so that the Boys can see her but can't get to her. Even though she has been with the boys in the past, you have to keep in mind, they don't remember her, she's been gone for 6 months so to them it's a NEW MATE. AHHHH lets get her and the competition is on. so separating her from them so that they can be reintroduce is what I would do..

The Rule of thumb for a new commer is to keep them confined for at least 1 month before setting them free with the others.

Thank you!

Yes, That's the plan - putting her out with them but separate. I have hesitated til now to even put her outside as she has been inside in the warmth for so long. Hoping the weather starts to get better soon.

I am concerned on where she will eventually sleep. I hope that she gets some strength in her leg to be able to jump up to the roosts at some point.

Thank you!

Yes, That's the plan - putting her out with them but separate. I have hesitated til now to even put her outside as she has been inside in the warmth for so long. Hoping the weather starts to get better soon.

I am concerned on where she will eventually sleep. I hope that she gets some strength in her leg to be able to jump up to the roosts at some point.

A dog crate would be good, this way they can see her and she still can have a nice relaxing home. Put lots of bedding in there for her.

Thank you!

Putting in a low roost would probably be good. We offer a low roost, middle and slightly higher roosts, and find each level will have at least a few chickens on them. It also might be good to help her gain leg strength back again to jump, but not too high.

Last edited:
UPDATE: Haha, 2 years later. This chicken, whom I call "Gimpy" is still going strong. She limps, but it doesn't stop her from doing anything. I free ranged until recently and she was all over the property. Thankfully, she wasn't one of the ones taken by a predator. I no longer free range at least until I can get up electric fencing to enclose the property.

Back
Top Bottom