Broody Broody Broody!

erroneousme

In the Brooder
Jul 14, 2017
I have a Cochin and I understand that they will go broody frequently but this one has gone broody 5 times this year already and will not break. It doesn't matter if she has a egg under her or not. I have pushed her off the nest repeatedly, blocked her from the nest (she will just lay down on the ground) the only thing that will stop her is letting her have chicks. I don't have enough room for that many chickens. Is there anything that will help convince her to stop. She is broody more that not. or any tricks to stop the broody behavior?

Yep, broody breaker cage.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...rates-a-good-tool-for-every-chickeneer.72619/

full

full

I agree with above. A broody breaker cage could do. You could also go with letting her hatch a batch of chicks... Get it outta her system. But personally I suggest the broody cage.

There's not much you can do about a broody hen. Most of the time I let them be. A lot of farmers hate that the egg percentage drops when hens go broody so they try to break them as fast as possible. I have plenty of eggs and a small fridge so I let them be. ;)

Ha ha- let sleeping dogs lie.... Let brooding hens brood. :lau Just joking. Go with what you are comfortable with.

Good luck, hope it works for ya.

Sincerely,
-TAH

Thanks for the feedback, it looks like I'll need a broody breaker cage. I don't need any more chickens. I did give in and gave her a couple of buff orphington chicks from IFA this time I was just tired of trying to break her. Next time she go's in a broody breaker.

Thanks for the feedback, it looks like I'll need a broody breaker cage. I don't need any more chickens. I did give in and gave her a couple of buff orphington chicks from IFA this time I was just tired of trying to break her. Next time she go's in a broody breaker.

No problem. That is great! She excepted them all? That is good to hear. :)

Back
Top Bottom