Broody Duck?

Hoopoethick

Chirping
Mar 18, 2020
Recently, I found out that one of our duck eggs is going to hatch on the 28th.. Problem is that there will be only one. In response, I’ve been trying to get one of my ducks broody. I have no experience with this sort of stuff. I got my first duck about a year and a half ago. Is this a broody behavior?
Broody duck?

I don't have a lot of experience with broodiness but because you will likely have a duckling very soon trying to get a broody to hatch eggs is probably not the most efficient plan of action, as if it works by the time they hatch your original duckling will be about a month old and there will be a huge size difference. I recommend trying to find at least one other duckling to keep it company when it hatches, or possible giving it to someone with more ducklings and hatching a larger batch so you won't be stuck with a single duckling.

In terms of getting a duck or chicken to go broody, I have heard that letting eggs accumulate and locking them in the coop may encourage them to go broody. Hard to tell from the video but doesn't look like broody behavior, she would most likely be sitting on the eggs.

Back
Top Bottom