Broody Hen Help Please

sweetshoplady

Songster
11 Years
Feb 4, 2008
Venice, Florida
My little Gypsy has decided to be a broody hen. I pulled her off the nest 2 nights ina row because the egg laying place is not safe at night. Today, for the third time as soon as she was let out she went right over and turned her 3 eggs and a golf ball and stayed there all day. So I moved the nest box with her in it into the bathtub which I lined with layers and layers of newspaper for easy clean-up and put 3 new fertile eggs under her so that hopefully those 3 would hatch. I also took the golf ball away. She is still sitting on her little nest in the box on her eggs.

My question is do I need to do anything other than give her food and water close by to make her more comfy.

And can I add two eggs tomorrow? I'd like to add a blue egg and one of Millie's eggs. I don't think the original 3 will hatch as I took her off - although it was very hot (heat index of 100 in the day). Which is why I put a couple new eggs under her.

She is such a cute little broody hen. Its funny because she has only been laying for about a month and is maybe 6 months old.

Broody's pretty much take care of themselves. They will get up about 1 time per day to eat, drink and have one big broody poo.

I say, go ahead and add a couple more eggs. She will sit on the eggs until they hatch.

Good luck!!!

Back
Top Bottom