1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody hen issue

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by billiejw89, Nov 1, 2015.

1. billiejw89

billiejw89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    North central WA
    I have a hen that started sitting on a nest 10/20/15. She now has 5 eggs in her nest. Today, I went to collect eggs and she was sitting on a different nest that my other hens each laid their egg in this morning. I don't know how long she was there but I quickly put her back in her own nest. Do these eggs still have a chance at hatching?

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Yes, there is still a very good chance that they will hatch. This is an issue that can occur when brooding in the flock. Have you marked the eggs that she is meant to hatch so that you can easily remove any eggs that are laid into her nest on a given day?

3. billiejw89

May 27, 2015
    North central WA
    Would it be ok to move her nest into my XL dog crate? I did not mark the eggs but they have remained at 5 for several days now.

4. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Yes - you can move her.

5. billiejw89

May 27, 2015
    North central WA
    Thank you! We will try to get her moved tonight.

6. billiejw89

May 27, 2015
    North central WA
    Well looks like our first home hatched chick has arrived! My kids have named it Poppy Corn. There are still 4 eggs under momma hen, we will wait and see what happens although I don't expect much, it looks like one may have pipped but I have not heard any sounds, I guess time will tell. Momma is taking good care of her baby!
    [​IMG]

7. billiejw89

May 27, 2015
    North central WA
    We have another chick! My black hen must have snuck one in, this baby has brown stripes down her back and looks like she is wearing black eyeliner. So cute! I'll try to get pictures later, I didn't want to disturb them to much.

8. billiejw89

May 27, 2015
    North central WA
    2nd baby decided to peek out for a bit, I got a picture this time!
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by