1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Broody Hen NOT Accepting Chick...*Help*

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by NicolleJean, Jun 10, 2017.

1. NicolleJean

NicolleJean Out Of The Brooder

Oct 15, 2016
    South Jersey
    Hi Everyone,

My Blue Sumatra has been broody for give or a take a month. I gave her a fake egg because she was "stealing" my other two hen's eggs. I brought home a chick tonight for her to foster and it did not go so well. The chick is less than a week old (only a few little wing feathers on her). Here is what I did and I am hoping I can still make this work. What needs to change?

- Moved hen into her own little area with chick feed and water.
    - Waited until it was dark out and took her fake egg and tried to place chick near her.
    - The chick ran to the water/feeder and didn't seem too interested in nestling up with mama.
    - Hen started making noises that she makes when we disturb her and then proceeded to peck at chick.

We moved the chick into a brooder for the night until someone can give us some feedback on how to make this work better. I can't get another chick and don't want this one to be raised alone. Please send some advice!

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Well you are boxed in a corner. You don't want another chick, and don't want one raised alone. I guess what is left is to find someone who does want a chick or return it. Tell them you don't want a refund you just want to give the chick back.

CTKen likes this.
  3. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC. I agree with the advice given by D/Diva.

Best wishes
    CT

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by