Broody in the Dog's Bed

pgpoultry

Songster
10 Years
Oct 16, 2009
Wales
Well, I guess it had to happen!
My Dark Brahma hen has been sleeping close to the dog overnight for a few weeks and has been laying her eggs in his bed.
Today she has decided to go broody there!
The dog's bed (currently occupied by my hen) is the one at the back.....I have given the dog another bed in front of her
ep.gif

IMG_4369.jpg

This must class as one of the most unusual sites for a broody to set
clap.gif

Sandie

Last edited:
lau.gif
Thought I've seen it all!!!! What a good dog though-she looks a little put out but will tolerate it!!!!
gig.gif

So glad the dog was willing to share! Will you try to move the hen to a more suitable nest?

That is such a funny heart warming story. Thanks for sharing. Oh I love it when animals across species learn to co-exist and live in peace. That is a really neat thing. Imagine if she hatched her eggs in his bed, what would he think? Oh My.

I've been out to look early this morning and they were both fast asleep.

The hen (Mrs Grey) decided to seek out Jared's (the dog's) bed about 8 weeks ago following a fox arrack. We kept her indoors at night for the first week or so, after which she never went to the coop at night, but slept close to the dog on his outside bed a few feet away from his inside bed (pictured).

She is a very placid hen....barely even a squawk when she is broody and never any aggression. Jared is a confirmed chicken protector and has been sharing his outside bed with chickens whenever it rains.

I think Mrs Grey is in the safest place she could be at the moment and I will leave her there for a few days at least before moving her (or may even lat her hatch here). Poor old Jared's bed may get a bit messy though,

Sandie

Back
Top Bottom