Broody new chicken

debleew1

In the Brooder
Mar 18, 2017
northern ireland
Hi all

As you know I have been really grateful for all your advice and support. As a new first timer it has been invaluable!! However now I have my 4 point of lays very much laying ( had a few no shell eggs occasionally but basically getting 3/4 eggs a day from them and so much fun I have had them 7 weeks and my day olds are now six weeks and happily living in their very own omlet cube with the emergency brooder for chilly nights.

HOWEVER I have now got a broody girl, which is odd because I was told Hybrid Plymouth Rocks Barred x Rhode Island Reds don't go broody but she definitely is. I don't mind as I would like some Buff Orpington chicks ( I didn't realise how addictive this chicken hobby (way of life) would turn out. I play with them all day and read about them all night).

Questions

Is it ok and reasonable for her to go broody she is 22 weeks has been laying for 4 weeks. Is it reasonable for me to put some Buff Orpington eggs under her?

I read it is best to move the broody with her eggs into her own coop. The one she is is raised off the ground and she shares it with 3 other girls (one Mrs Dorothy Parker, is not the most tolerant of chickens). Its perfectly big enough at 4x 4 metres squared in the coop with the three nest boxes to the side. They free range outside from dawn till dusk. I could put her in her own smaller coop with nest box with a run but section it off if its felt to be a good idea. If I place it next to the babies who have their own run still they would have some company.

Do I need to give her anything extra? I fed her some dandelion leaves and a couple of meal worms this afternoon but she wouldn't get off the nest. She is the most affectionate of my girls and occasionally gets picked on because she is a softy, which was why I thought she might feel more secure in her own place whilst she's brooding

Or do you think I should just break her broodiness by moving her away now?

Thanks

Deb

Young moms are hit and miss as far as properly caring for chicks. Not every broody hen actually wants chicks. I personally haven't had any luck relocating a broody, others have.

Do you plan to add another coop for more chickens? Are you're prepared to raise the chicks yourself if it doesn't work out? And do you have a plan for the roosters? Just some things to think about before trying to hatch, and to help you decide.

Back
Top Bottom