Broody raised chick found lying on belly

jenanneray

Chirping
8 Years
Mar 2, 2011
Franklinton, NC
I noticed my broodies were missing a chick. I found it laying on its belly with its legs straight out behind it. This baby is 1.5 old and has been outside with its moms (my 2 broodies are sharing 6 chicks) since day one. Seemed fine, eating and drinking until I noticed it was missing. Its poo looks normal, but now won't eat/drink. I put on hobbles to support its legs and brought it inside.here's a pic:

81392_imag0291.jpg

Is does have some dirt on its belly that you can see in the picture.

What's wrong with this baby? Now can I help it and will the broodies accept it back when its well?

Unfortunately that baby just doesn't look good. Sometimes babies just don't make it
hmm.png
. I had one that was found in a similar fashion and it passed peacefully in the night. Mama must have known something was wrong because she didn't call it over to her. My guess is mama hen either sensed something was wrong with it and rejected it, or that the baby wasn't able to keep up.

At this point, if it's not eating or drinking, all you can do is keep it in a warm, dark place and wait. But once the look like that...
sad.png

Update... I think this chick has cocci. Liquidy whitish poo with blood. The chick seems to be doing better sincei found it yesterday as far as eating and drinking, (is currently separated from others) but if it is cocci, is cocci contagious? I know very little about it as far as treatment. Will the other broody raised chicks have it too? They are currently free range with the rest of my flock. The only meds I have on hand is duramycin, and I don't think that will treat cocci. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Not sure how I missed this post...

If it's cocci, treat EVERYONE with Corid. It's contagious, but they mostly get it from pecking around on the ground. It's very deadly and can kill very quickly so treat ASAP.

Back
Top Bottom