Brought to tears in the grocery store

Nic&Chickies

Songster
11 Years
Aug 23, 2010
New Britain, CT
Helping my aunt with her grocery shopping, I went to the dairy section. Got the half-gallon of milk and the pound of butter she asked for, and I saw she had eggs on her list. Part-way through the "how long has it been since I needed to" thought, I looked at a dozen Jumbo brown eggs, and just lost it. I used to get eggs like that from Comet, and a couple of my other hens.
It's been, what, seven weeks I think, since the Storm when the mysterious predator took out most of my flock, and I still miss them so much! The four I still have don't bring me any pleasure any more, since they have no interest in letting me pet them, and with the lack of sun (I guess) it's been about 2 weeks since any of the four have laid any eggs.
Kinda wondering, "What's the point?"

:( sorry, for your losses! I felt like a complete idiot whenever I shut my gate and my poor Japanese bantam decided to run across th run as quick as possible and put his head in... It compressed his head a little so he did the spaz dance thing they do when they die. I felt like an idiot because I sat there outside the run rocking back an forth holding him in my arms crying... I felt like all the neighbors were watching, but I just cried and cried and held his little flaliing lifeless body. His mate died a week later too :( I miss my little Renji roo

hit.gif
This thread makes me so sad! Sorry for your loss!!!

Start over with new chicks and spend a lot of time with them!!!!! they will be so friendly and bring a lot of joy.

I'm sorry for your loss. love the birds you have even though they don't want to be snuggled they're still beautiful animals much fun to watch. maybe sitting with them often will make them more friendly towards you. you should definitely consider some new chicks to brighten your spirits. YOU'RE SURVIVING GIRLS WILL Lay YOU EGGS AGAIN :) maybe you could put a light in their coop to help them get started laying again. hang in there. you can never replace the ones you have lost but new ones sure help fill that big fat hole in your heart

Last edited:
sad.png
sorry, for your losses! I felt like a complete idiot whenever I shut my gate and my poor Japanese bantam decided to run across th run as quick as possible and put his head in... It compressed his head a little so he did the spaz dance thing they do when they die. I felt like an idiot because I sat there outside the run rocking back an forth holding him in my arms crying... I felt like all the neighbors were watching, but I just cried and cried and held his little flaliing lifeless body. His mate died a week later too
sad.png
I miss my little Renji roo
hugs.gif
I have felt that too, with some of my losses. Every time I'm not home by sunset to lock'em up, I panic still. And my neighbor did hear me howl that last time, but I don't care. (How long since you lost Renji?)
hit.gif
This thread makes me so sad! Sorry for your loss!!!

Start over with new chicks and spend a lot of time with them!!!!! they will be so friendly and bring a lot of joy.
I was thinking I might do that in the Spring, but not now. Most of the nine I had were our chicks from Spring 2011, and they were and did.
I'm sorry for your loss. love the birds you have even though they don't want to be snuggled they're still beautiful animals much fun to watch. maybe sitting with them often will make them more friendly towards you. you should definitely consider some new chicks to brighten your spirits. YOUR SURVIVING GIRLS WILL Lay YOU EGGS AGAIN :) maybe you could put a light in their coop to help them get started laying again. hang in there. you can never replace the ones you have lost but new ones sure help fill that big fat hole in your heart
I think their personality is pretty much set, as far as skittish versus friendly goes, but thanks for the suggestion. Light's not really possible--no power out back. But that's ok, I don't wanna force it. And I'll think over the winter about getting new chicks -- and/or offer these four up to a good home. They are good girls, just not as sweet as some that were killed.
Thank you, you three.

Last edited:
but the fox didn't kill her because our brave rooster(Silky roo) got himself killed to save her!

Helping my aunt with her grocery shopping, I went to the dairy section. Got the half-gallon of milk and the pound of butter she asked for, and I saw she had eggs on her list. Part-way through the "how long has it been since I needed to" thought, I looked at a dozen Jumbo brown eggs, and just lost it. I used to get eggs like that from Comet, and a couple of my other hens.
It's been, what, seven weeks I think, since the Storm when the mysterious predator took out most of my flock, and I still miss them so much! The four I still have don't bring me any pleasure any more, since they have no interest in letting me pet them, and with the lack of sun (I guess) it's been about 2 weeks since any of the four have laid any eggs.
Kinda wondering, "What's the point?"

Put up a light on a timer !! ANd bring them a handful of corn every day. THey must eat out of your hand though to get the corn-- see how much they will warm up to you. I've turned feral kittens into cuddlly pussy cats with this method. Make some wonderful treats for them to perk you up and them too.

hugs

no power in nics chicken coop. my mom has these Solar floodlight on her boat actually on steaks and then to be in the yard I wondered if they would work but I think they are LED light... not sure if that is suitable for replacing sunlight
Put up a light on a timer !! ANd bring them a handful of corn every day. THey must eat out of your hand though to get the corn-- see how much they will warm up to you.  I've turned feral kittens into cuddlly pussy cats with this method. Make some wonderful treats for them to perk you up and them too. 

hugs

Last edited:
You could rehome them now,and then start new in the spring with chicks. I ran an outdoor cord to the coop,and put in a clamp lamp with a low watt fluorescent bulb.Took 2-3 weeks for them to start laying.My kids won't let me cull,so I plan to rehome when laying is real low. Looking forward to chicks.Wishing you happy hen days ahead!

Back
Top Bottom