Brown Red bantam Sumatras?

He is a beauty....but I almost thought he was a Cubalaya though with the color variation.

I kind of have to agree with the other posters when they talk about color variations in some breeds. Seems people are more concerned with creating new colors in different breeds than maintaining the original traditional colors. Makes me wonder if we are going to loose a lot of original stock in place of the 'latest and greatest' color craze. Don't get me wrong though, I love the color variations in poultry, I just don't think each breed has to come in all colors. I find it dilutes the breeds and makes it hard to find good birds sometimes because there are so many color projects on the go.

Urban Coyote

I agree Urban Coyote.....We should focus on some of the rarer colors that are already accepted....when was the last time you all saw a white sumatra for instance???? Or on our rare and heritage breeds that are slipping into extenction little by little every day!!!! But that bird sure is pretty....brown red is one of my favorite colors and I don`t own one of that color!!!!! JMHO, Jane/Cedaridge Farm

I have to agree with Urban Coyote that the color crazes may not be in the best interest of the breeds. If you do not like an all black bird then instead of Sumatra why don't you consider Cubalayas which have a much greater color range? I also have to agree with Cuban Longtails that the loss of the all black face in the Sumatra should be a serious breed violation in my opinion no matter how close to type the blue or white or black breasted red bird otherwise appears.

Quote:
"Almost" only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.
old.gif

He has no red showing through at all.

That's the thing that is worrying my just a little bit. I have only seen the odd Surmatra and they were not good representations of the breed....way too red in the face, the tails were too short and not abundant at all. I would have really loved to have added these guys to my show program, but there just aren't any good ones to be had in my area, or in all of Canada to my knowledge.

I find this the same with rosecombs. As a whole I find there are fewer people raising poultry in my area (if this is different for other areas please let me know), so that means there are fewer breeds seen at shows. I think it would benefit breeders to concentrate on creating a stronger base of the traditional breed and colors instead of adding more and more colors spread over fewer breeders. The white rosecomb that used to be common and is an accepted color in the APA is disappearing at a fast rate. I don't know of any other breeders in the whole of Canada that have a different bloodline than the line I have. It makes it very hard for me as a breeder to broaden my genetic base and get new blood which I really need right now to correct a fault in my line.

Anyway, just a thought for anyone thinking of creating a new color. The traditional, accepted colors in certain breeds really need help or they are going to be gone soon.

Urban Coyote

Quote:
Well Said! Polish are also in this boat. Every year it becomes harder to find laced birds of good quality for me, and it seems that almost all of the white crested blacks in the central U.S. trace their lines back to 1 man. broaden the genetic basis, maintain the old colors. Don't get me wrong, I've got my share of odd and new colors too, but I also make it a point to maintain and continue to improve the existing stock of old varieties, such as laced colors.

Quote:
"Almost" only counts in horseshoes and hand grenades.
old.gif

If it's an "almost" black face, what other color is showing if it's not red? Anything other than black is going to be red or influences of red.

Quote:

If it's an "almost" black face, what other color is showing if it's not red? Anything other than black is going to be red or influences of red.

His face is really dark mulberry. Check your Standard of Perfection, mulberry is the standardized face color for sumatras.

Back
Top Bottom