Bubble butt

Snixon091116

Hatching
Jul 21, 2023
Hi there. Long time lurker and reader, but just signed up. I need help. help me out y’all. Haven’t been home for 3 days, but chickens were fed and let out, properly cared for by family. Came home and just now checked on my girls. One of the older layers (2 years old now) had a white bubble hanging out of her vent l, and there was some wet mixed withOk help me out y’all. Haven’t been home for 3 days, but chickens were fed and let out, properly care for. There’s was some wet mixed with crusty poo stuck to her butt feathers. I gloved up, and gently pulled out a membrane with an eyeball feeling small yolk/egg white inside it, and what appears to be almost the whole membrane. Maybe an egg broke? But no blood, no shell pieces, nothing abnormal looking about that. She wasn’t happy about it, but it’s out. I didn’t snap a pic of her backside. Help me out what can I do to diagnose this lady?
411CFB57-37F4-4D21-B9DB-00D08CEF503A.jpeg

I haven’t yet checked on them this morning. Before I left a few days ago, when I let them out, she had a little crusty butt but I figured she just had a messy poo. She has been going in the nesting box to lay, but I haven’t actually seen her lay an egg. Please help. I lost one baby to a freak accident a while ago, then last week one just dropped dead, and I think it was due to the heat. I don’t want to lose any more of my chicken friends.

That is a shell-less egg that broke at least partially inside of her. The wet stuck to her feathers is probably egg white. I would wash the mess off if you can, Give her calcium citrate +D3 to help her push out anything left inside and help her to produce shelled eggs again.(human calcium pill - at least 500 mg, once a day until she lays a normal egg). Hopefully this is a one time occurrence, but keep an eye on her for more.
@Wyorp Rock , @Eggcessive should they consider an antibiotic since the egg broke inside or is calcium enough?

Yea, I agree with giving some human calcium with D3 daily for the next few days to a week. Aim for about 600 mg of calcium daily. How does her crop feel? Is she eating and drinking, or acting lethargic? Poop pictures can sometime tell us things. Does she lay normal eggs regularly? What feed is she getting, and does she have access to crushed oyster shell for calcium?

Back
Top Bottom