Buckeye Breed Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey folks, check out the new page I put up on the ABPC website, with a wonderful article written by Mrs. Metcalf herself titled History of the Buckeyes, from the 1909 Pacific Fancier, which I scanned: http://www.americanbuckeyepoultryclub.com/BuckeyeHistory.html

Can't argue with the woman's own words! So much good stuff in there too. She lists what breeds she used to create the Buckeye, she talks about the fact that she didn't use RIRs in them, how back then RIRs were much lighter than her Buckeyes, and she even speaks about the Buckeye breed club she started herself, The National Red Feather Club! Check it out, there are even some pictures of some of her birds and the farm in OH where she created them.

There are a couple more versions or updates to that description of the history, Nettie wrote between 1909 and 1917. In 1916, there is actually a multi-page brochure breaking down every characteristic (color, body, wings, head, comb, ect.) in both male and female. It also goes into great detail on matings and how to breed based on characteristics...what to breed toward and what should be avoided. The brochure has pictures on champion birds from many farms (what they were producing in comparison to Nettie's flock) and information of who were the major buckeye breeders of that time.

There are a couple more versions or updates to that description of the history, Nettie wrote between 1909 and 1917. In 1916, there is actually a multi-page brochure breaking down every characteristic (color, body, wings, head, comb, ect.) in both male and female. It also goes into great detail on matings and how to breed based on characteristics...what to breed toward and what should be avoided. The brochure has pictures on champion birds from many farms (what they were producing in comparison to Nettie's flock) and information of who were the major buckeye breeders of that time.
How cool! Can you post some pictures of it? Would love to see it. I love reading the woman's own words, no better way to know her intent. Links? Photos? PDFs?

Oh wait, I think I have seen some of those photos. The one of "Deems Wonder", Champion bird makes a good argument as to why the Standard does evolve over time, that's for sure!
Don't think I'd want my birds looking like this one!
lau.gif

I think that is one of the pictures/advertisements in there...it's been a while since I've read it. I'd agree, I think husbandry techniques have come a long way. I still however think that bird would fit in the current SOP as broad a description as it offers. The only difference is how the judges view the breed in comparison to the american class (as a whole) now versus 100 years ago. It is no secret that plummage has become much more exaggerated in american class breeds. I think if that bird's tail was in better condition, that neck might not look as long.....today's buckeyes are not as tight feathered as "yester-years" birds, that is why his neck appears thin and legs med-high stationed. It shows how prevelant the indian game blood was back then. There are several pictures out there found in journal literature of Nettie's birds that show a very similar appearance. I'd actually like to have a bird as tight feathered as that bird to reduce some of the "fluffy" plummage in today's stocks'. I'm willing to bet that body on that bird is a solid rock like that of indian games. That wouldn't be a bad trait to breed back coupled with a moderate back and an actual tail angle. Not to mention that that is just a young cockerel and will get much wider as he develops. It probably isn't done growing yet. I'd take him!

Last edited:
So where did that book come from, anyway? I found one listed as being at the University of Guelph in Ontario, but apparently, it's gone "missing" from their Library there. It's too bad, as I'd send my in-laws over there to make copies for me, they're in Canada. Would love to get a copy of it if there are more to be had.

I think that is one of the pictures/advertisements in there...it's been a while since I've read it. I'd agree, I think husbandry techniques have come a long way. I still however think that bird would fit in the current SOP as broad a description as it offers. The only difference is how the judges view the breed in comparison to the american class (as a whole) now versus 100 years ago. It is no secret that plummage has become much more exaggerated in american class breeds. I think if that bird's tail was in better condition, that neck might not look as long.....today's buckeyes are not as tight feathered as "yester-years" birds, that is why his neck appears thin and legs med-high stationed. It shows how prevelant the indian game blood was back then. There are several pictures out there found in journal literature of Nettie's birds that show a very similar appearance. I'd actually like to have a bird as tight feathered as that bird to reduce some of the "fluffy" plummage in today's stocks'. I'm willing to bet that body on that bird is a solid rock like that of indian games. That wouldn't be a bad trait to breed back coupled with a moderate back and an actual tail angle. Not to mention that that is just a young cockerel and will get much wider as he develops. It probably isn't done growing yet. I'd take him!
Yes, I agree with you Joe. I have one cockerel I am keeping now because he is a little more tightly feathered. When I weighed him, I could not believe he weighed more than ones that "looked" heavier -- but he was a pound more. Too much fluff in today's Buckeyes. More grandiose tails get awarded in the shows also.

Yes, and that's why just looking at a bird doesn't tell the whole story. You really have to pick them up to feel how heavy they are before you can judge a bird. Bob Gilbert likes to scold me (and rightly so), as some of my hens have poofy saddles, which is something I'm working on. But working with faults is like making adjustments to a mobile, you have to tweak gently. Too much in one direction and you send the whole thing out of balance! I don't think there's anyone out there who has perfect birds, I think we're all always working on something, that's the fun of breeding birds!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom