Buff Orpingtons pullet or cockerel

Abesinger

In the Brooder
May 31, 2015
cleveland OHIO

My money is on cockerel... What do you guys think... Also will he get along with a LF Cochin cockerel... Originallyl I planned on one male but looks like I might get two... I will have 11 hens (new and old) .. I know roosters can fight and is expected that they will but I heard both these breeds are the sweetest of the breeds; would they fight to the death? Or just spar now and again?

Thanks- Alec

cockerel. They will likely get along ok if they have been raised together. Dominance has been established at a young age so the will rarely fight. If they do it will be short "I'm still the boss" spars. With that many hens plenty of room they'll most likely be ok.

cockerel. They will likely get along ok if they have been raised together. Dominance has been established at a young age so the will rarely fight. If they do it will be short "I'm still the boss" spars. With that many hens plenty of room they'll most likely be ok.

Yep both are being raised currently. And they will have 10x 40 chicken run + free range.

The hen to rooster ratio is a little off, this has nothing to do with them fighting but they just might rub the feathers off of your hens backs, you should have at least 10 hens to 1 rooster

The hen to rooster ratio is a little off, this has nothing to do with them fighting but they just might rub the feathers off of your hens backs, you should have at least 10 hens to 1 rooster

A YouTube video said 1roo to about 4 hens is perfect any more is extra... What do u think with your experience?

A YouTube video said 1roo to about 4 hens is perfect any more is extra... What do u think with your experience?

They may be fine, especially, since they are both pretty calm breeds, but I would just keep an eye out for any feather loss, just in case

Back
Top Bottom