Bullying. Needs. To. Stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Careful...Socrates was an atheist.

wink.png

Maybe the "little secret" for me was that chicken has learned to become atheist from reading the teachings of Socrates! Grats! Welcome to the club!
wink.png

Hi AquaEyes!

Last edited:
There you go again Ducky you cannot learn something you claim not to exist.

Plato did not seem to be an atheist. In fact, a quote attributed to him is, "Atheism is a disease of the soul, before it becomes an error of the understanding."

He also wrote of Zeus.

You still missed the meaning but your personal attack when cornered is acceptable.

Maybe the "little secret" for me was that chicken has learned to become atheist from reading the teachings of Socrates! Grats! Welcome to the club!
wink.png

Hi AquaEyes!

Last edited:
Sorry I didn't read the whole thread..running short on time.

Just wanted to say that my daughter goes through the same thing. She is a senior this year and ready to head out of town. She is 5'4" and weighs about 105 pounds. She did get up to 110 but then got mono and lost back down to 102. She has always been really skinny. Her friends actually called her "skinny" for the longest time in high school. They always tell her she needs to eat which she does all the time. She could out eat anyone in the family. They are constantly giving her cookies and other high calorie foods because she "needs it." She just rubs it in and says give it to me because it is not going to hurt me.
big_smile.png
Her friends all are much bigger than she is and have to watch what they eat. She is one that tells them like it is and does not put with their crap. She is very confident and knows what she wants to do when she graduates and has it all planned out. She will succeed so much more than anyone else. I always tell my kids that when people are ugly to you it is because they don't feel good about themselves so they have to put other people down to bring them up. Hold your head up high because you will be a much better person than anyone of those other kids/adults. I love Taylor Swift's song "Mean." So true!!

One other thing I tell my kids about high school...when you are 35 and paying bills it really doesn't matter how cool you were in high school.

Being naturally thin, I get often made fun of and ridiculed. I have had guys tell me I'm straight up ugly for being lean and I've had men tell me that I'm beautiful. I'm only a teenager so I don't know why curves should matter right now. Apparently to everyone else it's so important. Do I honestly need your approval of how I should look? What business do you have rating a teenage girl? Are you a pedophile? - I have been told "women should have curves and I would laugh at you if I saw you" does teen not get into your head? Is there even a brain in there?
I am 98 lbs, 5' 7", and PROUD. I am not changing myself for no one. And a REAL man doesn't try to bring down young girls' body sizes. You want a real woman, with curves and all? You think they should look only one way and nothing in between? Then start acting like a man because no sane woman wants a shallow bias fool with an extreme hate for anything that doesn't have a DD bust measurement. I would slap my man in the face if I heard him ridicule a teenage girl just because she is thin.
And to girls that have made fun of me for being 'ugly'. Uglyness isn't just on the outside, sweethearts.
Everyone is beautiful, gorgeous, sexy, cute, hot, pretty, whatever, etc,, just be yourself. Don't change yourself. Also, peace love unity and respect. PLUR. Go by it like me. :D

Sorry I didn't read the whole thread..running short on time.

Just wanted to say that my daughter goes through the same thing. She is a senior this year and ready to head out of town. She is 5'4" and weighs about 105 pounds. She did get up to 110 but then got mono and lost back down to 102. She has always been really skinny. Her friends actually called her "skinny" for the longest time in high school. They always tell her she needs to eat which she does all the time. She could out eat anyone in the family. They are constantly giving her cookies and other high calorie foods because she "needs it." She just rubs it in and says give it to me because it is not going to hurt me.
big_smile.png
Her friends all are much bigger than she is and have to watch what they eat. She is one that tells them like it is and does not put with their crap. She is very confident and knows what she wants to do when she graduates and has it all planned out. She will succeed so much more than anyone else. I always tell my kids that when people are ugly to you it is because they don't feel good about themselves so they have to put other people down to bring them up. Hold your head up high because you will be a much better person than anyone of those other kids/adults. I love Taylor Swift's song "Mean." So true!!

One other thing I tell my kids about high school...when you are 35 and paying bills it really doesn't matter how cool you were in high school.

Well said
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
There you go again Ducky you cannot learn something you claim not to exist.

Plato did not seem to be an atheist. In fact, a quote attributed to him is, "Atheism is a disease of the soul, before it becomes an error of the understanding."

He also wrote of Zeus.

You still missed the meaning but your personal attack when cornered is acceptable.

The word atheist was coined in about the 18th century as I understand it. Socrates said he did not beleive in God but the writings of his teachings sometimes mentioned Zeus and Apollo.

Socrates was Plato's teacher. If you claim that Socrates couldn't be an atheist because the term wasn't invented until the 18th Century, then how could Plato have a quote including the term "atheism?" Obviously, the idea of not believing has existed before the 18th century, so just as the term was used in translating Plato, it was used to describe Socrates.

And to expand further on that snippet from Plato, please read the link below for the context within which it is found. Plato viewed atheism as a disease because it led to people not obeying commands, and elaborated on criminal punishment for those who disagreed with the established view. In other words, the text surrounding that quote is all about punishing those who engaged in free thought -- something strangely uncharacteristic of a philosopher, and something that seems to be embraced only by the myriad religious sites which arose from a google search for the quote. I suppose it is rather an "illness" to not fall in line with dogma and "because I said so" reasoning -- to the powers which seek to control people.

http://www.philosophicalmisadventures.com/?p=44

:)

Last edited:
I think when it said "attributed" it meant something other than an actually quote. I am not sure how they came up with that phrase but a guess would be it was derived from a line of thought of Plato. I have only read a snippet of his stuff.

It would seem the same reasoning (guess) could conclude to whatever side of the fence you are standing on when one interprets Plato's philosophy. I don't think he was arguing atheism at the time either way. The idea that he is or isn't an atheist has more to do with establishing a current idea or position rather than proof... I think they call it an authority argument which you know how that is viewed.

The link you provided has quite an array of opinions.

If a free thinker is truly free they would not lay claim to anothers philosophy.

Socrates:]"Since the beautiful is opposite of the ugly, they are two."
[Glaucon:]"Of course."
"And since they are two, each is one?"
"I grant that also."
"And the same account is true of the just and unjust, the good and the bad, and all the forms. Each of them is itself one, but because they manifest themselves everywhere in association with actions, bodies, and one another, each of them appears to be many."
"That's right."
"So, I draw this distinction: On one side are those you just now called lovers of sights, lovers of crafts, and practical people; on the other side are those we are now arguing about and whom one would alone call philosophers."
"How do you mean?"
"The lovers of sights and sounds like beautiful sounds, colors, shapes, and everything fashioned out of them, but their thought is unable to see and embrace the nature of the beautiful itself."
"That's for sure."
"In fact, there are very few people who would be able to reach the beautiful itself and see it by itself. Isn't that so?"
"Certainly."
"What about someone who believes in beautiful things, but doesn't believe in the beautiful itself and isn't able to follow anyone who could lead him to the knowledge of it? Don't you think he is living in a dream rather than a wakened state? Isn't this dreaming: whether asleep or awake, to think that a likeness is not a likeness but rather the thing itself that it is like?"
"I certainly think that someone who does that is dreaming."
"But someone who, to take the opposite case, believes in the beautiful itself, can see both it and the things that participate in it and doesn't believe that the participants are it or that it itself is the participants--is he living in a dream or is he awake?
"He's very much awake."

Last edited:
Wow, a bullying thread is turned into a religious debate?

To the OP - as long as you are a healthy weight, as defined by your doctor, I wouldn't let what others say about you get to you. Everyone goes through this in some form or another, whether you are chesty, not chesty, thin, heavy, curvy, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom