Bumblefoot - Calling All Crunchy Natural Folks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Homesteadin, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

Always good to have someone with them. Hopefully he won't wear her out. Appreciate you letting us know how he is doing.

2. Homesteadin

Homesteadin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2015
    Gave him a soak some hours ago. I am worried that maybe when he jumped over that fence he hurt himself even more because he limped more heavily after that, but maybe the pain from the bumble was just getting worse? I know I may be worrying too much but should I try to find out if he injured himself further?

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Next opportunity I would examine the leg, compare it to the other. He could have also sprained something or pulled a muscle. And Epsom salt soaks are good for that, too.

4. Homesteadin

Mar 16, 2015

Okay. All I know for now until I can look closer is that his leg is swollen above where the bumble is. I'll examine him more closely tomorrow morning.

5. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Oooh, that swelling could indicate the infection is spreading, in which case I would get oral antibiotics started. I know it's not herbal, but this is a case where I would want to prevent systemic infection.

It may be something else, but I wanted to put that out there. For example, an injury might cause swelling.

6. Homesteadin

Mar 16, 2015
    Oi.... I wondered about that, as I've of course read about how infection from a bumble will spread up the leg and to organs if not treated. :( I would be amazed if it was getting that bad so fast because he wasn't even limping yesterday. But I definitely don't want to take chances.

7. Amiga

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I don't want you (or me) to panic. He may simply have sprained something - and that would cause swelling, too. Just want us to be cognizant that infection is a possibility. Whew. Ducks. Love'em.

Let's see what we have in the morning. I will check in when I can.

Pax et lux.

8. Homesteadin

Mar 16, 2015
    Yes, luv em. :) Okay, I'll be reporting tomorrow. Much thanks. Have a good night.

9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

Hows your drake doing this morning?

10. Homesteadin

Mar 16, 2015
    It's 7:42am here and I'm dying to get out to him to see but I can't yet - I have three kiddos; a 4yo, 2yo and 3 months. My hands are kind of tied till the littlest takes her first nap, should be in an hour or so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by