Bumblefoot - Calling All Crunchy Natural Folks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Homesteadin, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Homesteadin

Homesteadin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2015
    By the way, I hope to get a pic for you guys sometime (I don't have a smartphone) so you can actually see the foot & leg. Plus he is just beautiful and nice to look at anyway. :) He's our only drake and we want him to make some babies next spring!

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia "I Believe" Premium Member

I didn't know you were west. And have your hands full too. lol

3. Homesteadin

Mar 16, 2015
    Full of good things, but definitely full! :p Yes we're in CO

4. Homesteadin

Mar 16, 2015
    Alright, here are pics. My husband was able to step away from work to help me snap a few. First one is the bumble foot, second is the other foot - look like anything is starting on that one? There's poop on it. :) The third one is his legs and the one that was swollen yesterday (the bumble one) is actually not swollen noticeably anymore, so at least there's that. I soaked him in epsom salt water (warm), dried and applied iodine.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Homesteadin

Mar 16, 2015
    Oh and I didn't realize his claw is missing from his spur on the non-bumble leg until I was looking at him yesterday. He and another drake we had really starting fighting bad redently and we went ahead and got rid of the other one (he's in the freezer...). So I suspect the bumble and the claw missing came from how vigorously they were fighting and chasing each other around.

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I suspect the swelling was from injury if it went down so quickly…just keep watching and checking for unusual warmth in the leg - that's an indicator.

Looks like you called it - the first pic looks like a smallish bumble, I'd keep following the protocol he's on for now. Maybe some poultry vitamins in the water once a week for a few weeks for a boost.

7. Homesteadin

Mar 16, 2015
    Okay will do. I am surprised the bumble isn't worse based on how badly he's limping but I guess it's just right in the spot where he puts pressure to walk. Poor guy falls on his chin when he steps on anything raised with that foot. Gonna go look into poulty vitamins...

8. Miss Lydia

I just saw one of my EE's liming today so I am now treating one of my hens. I opted to treat and wrap since we're in the muck and mire of lots of rain right now. I'll check her again in a few days and do treatment again.

Glad to hear your seeing progress already. The bumble doesn't look real bad, catching them early makes all the difference in the world.

9. Homesteadin

Mar 16, 2015
    Good luck with your EE! If you get the chance I'd like to see how you wrapped her foot.

I am so glad it's not a bad case with my boy. I've never dealt with this before and my mind went straight to worst-case scenarios.

10. Miss Lydia

Thanks, I'll wait till sat to change wrapping and treat her foot I'll take some pics then.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2015

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by