Bumblefoot - Calling All Crunchy Natural Folks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Homesteadin, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Homesteadin

Homesteadin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2015
    And that booger already got his bandage off. Mostly to the fault of a shoddy wrapping job, I'm sure.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia "I Believe" Premium Member

Oh they are good that is why I like vet wrap from TSC it is great stuff. Except for giving some cushion you could wait till you actually pull the plug that is when it's going to need protecting the most.

3. Homesteadin

Mar 16, 2015
    I wish we had TSC here. We have Big R. I'll call today & find out if they have the vet wrap. I could tell the cushioning helped him have a little less discomfot while it was wrapped - for a whole 15 minutes! :p Good to know it's not necessarily a must to wrap it until later, though.

4. Miss Lydia

This vet wrap is actually for horses so it's wide I cut it down the middle to use it. As long as he is on soft ground and it's not open It should be fine for now

5. Homesteadin

Mar 16, 2015
    Aw sweet girl. how is she doing? Thanks so much for the pics! That vet wrap looks like great stuff, and I am remember it now from my early childhood when my parents had a horse ranch. I am guessing for a duck I I'm just going to have tp wrap the foot in a "glob" since I can't separate the toes. I feel like such a newbie - we just moved to our current property from the city and got ducks and are preparing for goats. I guess I better be prepared to handle stuff because stuff will happen with farm animals.

Our drake isn't limping nearly as bad today but the bumble is still firmly attached after soaking again. Curious - how much epsom salt to water do you usually do?

6. Miss Lydia

I go pretty strong I use half gallon of warm water to a cup of Epsom salt. keeping them from drinking it. I used my nail and just keep getting under the scab till it peeled off. Not all of them come off that easy I think since hers is so New that helped. If she hadn't limped I would have never noticed it even with looking for any outward swelling when just observing them daily. Some check their flocks feet weekly I am pretty lax about that I confess. If you can make a shoe for him that would work pretty well use a piece of card board make a copy of his foot on it then use that to cut him a shoe out of a plastic butter or cool whip bowl or lid. Wrap the shoe whether it's card board or plastic in some kind of tape to keep it from getting wet or cutting him, then place his foot on the shoe and use the vet wrap to fasten to the foot and shoe. This would be easier to me than trying to wrap a ducks foot on it's own.

Just think one day you maybe a nurse mid wife to a goat.. I was once it's an awesome experience, thankfully mama goat did all the work I just watched.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  7. Homesteadin

Mar 16, 2015
    Oh boy I probably need to go a little stronger then. And I'll try doing a little more digging next time. It's almost like the bumble is under a rim of skin, though - do you know what I mean? I don't know if you can tell by looking at this pic again.

The shoe sounds brilliant. I'll do that.

Yes we are going to get two doelings and breed them later so they'll kid and be milkers! I'm so excited to watch goat babies be born, but a little nervous too!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  8. Miss Lydia

After soaking while still damp try using your nail to get up under the scab. It may just need more soaking for a few more days.

How exciting you'll do fine and most of the time they need very little help I would love to have goats again, Maybe one day.. Did you know there is a Backyard Herds section to BYC?

9. Homesteadin

Mar 16, 2015

Okay I'll do that after next time's soak.

What kind of goats did you have? Did you milk them? No I did not know there was a Backyard Herds section on here - that makes my day! :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by