Bumblefoot - Calling All Crunchy Natural Folks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Homesteadin, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia "I Believe" Premium Member

I have no idea what breed she was, this was back in the 80's and I wanted a goat to keep the weeds down at the place we lived at then. She was solid white with horns which we later had to have removed because she got her head caught in the fence. 2X We bred her to a brown male and got the cutest little goat kid ended up having to sell her since we couldn't keep her in the fence and we had stray dogs that roamed the area. Eventually I sold the mama too I found having 2 teenagers was enough to keep up with. Didn't milk her .

2. Homesteadin

Homesteadin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2015

Bummer you had to get rid of her. We are going to have Nigerian Dwarf dairy goats - coming next spring! And we are probably getting in way over our heads with three little children who already occupy pretty much all of our time :p but we want them to grow up this way; learning to be self sufficient and just generally enjoying nature and what it has to give.

3. Miss Lydia

Doing this while your children are young will make it special, I wish I had of started when mine were young. We always had animals dogs cats birds but they were at an age where goats etc did not impress them. lol they don't even understand why I have ducks, chickens and geese now that we are retired. had them before we retired too. lol but it's okay they have their life I have mine.

4. Homesteadin

Mar 16, 2015
    Maybe yours will appreciate it more someday. Farm life didn't impress me a whole lot growing up - it was WORK! Had no interest in a country or farm lifestyle once I moved out at 18. But I came back around once I turned 30. :)

Last edited: Oct 3, 2015
  5. Miss Lydia

It is hard work but I am very thankful some are still willing to do it, after all we have to eat. Right. I cannot imagine living in a big city and seeing nothing but lights and people. Glad though that it appeals to alot of people though or we'd be neck and neck out here. lol

6. Homesteadin

Mar 16, 2015

I can't imagine that either! I never want to go back to staring at the neighbor's wall when I look out the window. I am glad as well that some people still like farming, homesteading and the like. And more are taking an interest all the time. My dad is a shade under 70 and is still farming hundreds of acres on his own - it took me too long to realize how proud I am of him for that!

Husband is picking up vet wrap at the store as I type. Then we'll soak our drake and dig at his foot when he gets back. And make a go at creating a duck shoe! Do you know if it's ok for them to swim with the vet wrap on?

Last edited: Oct 4, 2015
  7. Miss Lydia

I would leave the wrap on for a couple days then when you take it off to treat him let him swim before doing the soaks and treatment and back in the shoe then do over again in 2 days. Your using the clear iodine right? that should only be used every 2-3 days anyway.
    That's great you dad is still farming at close to 70. My dad just passed away at 88 this past July and he was putting a garden in up until last year. We have lots of reason to be proud of them. [​IMG]What all does your dad grow on his farm?

8. Homesteadin

Mar 16, 2015

After soaking him it seemed like scab really wasn't ready yet to come off - I was really trying to get under and lift it but couldn't get anywhere; felt like I was going to have to cut part of his foot off to get it. However, it was looking more scabby and dark all across the top of the bumble instead of just the middle -is that a good thing? Put iodine & ointment on & wrapped his foot with a shoe and I'll follow your suggestion about when to let him get a swim in without the wrap before treating him every couple days. I couldn't find clear iodine locally so I ordered some a few days ago and until that comes I have been using something on-hand that is clear-ish but tinted. It's a potassium-iodine solution. I don't know if it has done any good but I figured I could try it. I used your salt-to-water ratio this time which was probably about 2-3x stronger than what I was doing before so hopefully that will make more of a difference now.

I'm sorry to hear you had to say goodbye to your father just months ago. I am going to need some extra strength when that day comes for my daddy! He farms corn, wheat, sorghum, sunflowers, alfalfa, milo and cattle. He doesn't do all those crops every year but rotates them. Before he was a farmer he was a Denver police officer for 20-some years, and before that he was a Marine and fought in the Vietnam war. He has incredible stories - both happy and sad - I really wish I could write a book about his life!

9. Miss Lydia

Don't be in a hurry for the scab although we know after getting out the plug the healing begins just keep on the way your doing Maybe by mid week you'll see a difference in the scab. I haven't had to work on a duck yet seems my chickens are the ones who will end up with a bumble now and then. This is my 3rd hen. From all I've read it's the ammonia in the clear iodine that helps bring the bumble to the surface. Sounds like there are some changes taking place so just keep up with it. How'd the shoe fit? lol

Sounds like a real nice farm he has.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2015
  10. Homesteadin

Mar 16, 2015
    Here he is sporting his shoe :p kinda chunky but it works. I hope I angled it enough so that it wouldn't be uncomfortable for him to put his foot all the way down. That vet wrap sure works well! Hopefully my clear iodine will show up tomorrow so I can use it the next day.

I definitely want to write a whole lot down to get as much as I can from my dad's life recorded to pass down. And now that you mentioned a video I want to be sure to do that too! A kind of interview or something. Thank your DH for his service. It's sad how the Vietnam war was so harmful to our soldiers :( my dad had several friends who have neurological disorders or have died from the agent orange poisoning.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by