Bumblefoot - Calling All Crunchy Natural Folks

I am checking in, sounds like great progress! And the family stories - great if you can record them somehow.

If I recall, I think Haunted55 waited more than five days after putting the iodine on the bumble. She soaked, applied the clear iodine, kept the duck in a quiet clean environment, got busy and did not have a chance to examine the foot carefully for several days. That's when she soaked the foot and discovered the dark plug had formed and could be removed. For the second case, she could not easily pull it, so she reapplied the clear iodine waited another several days then that worked.

When I have treated early bumblefoot with just antibiotic ointment, it has taken 5 or 6 weeks to completely knock it out. It's slow, but to me it's worth it to avoid cutting the foot.

I am checking in, sounds like great progress!  And the family stories - great if you can record them somehow.

If I recall, I think Haunted55 waited more than five days after putting the iodine on the bumble.  She soaked, applied the clear iodine, kept the duck in a quiet clean environment, got busy and did not have a chance to examine the foot carefully for several days.  That's when she soaked the foot and discovered the dark plug had formed and could be removed.  For the second case, she could not easily pull it, so she reapplied the clear iodine waited another several days then that worked. 

When I have treated early bumblefoot with just antibiotic ointment, it has taken 5 or 6 weeks to completely knock it out.  It's slow, but to me it's worth it to avoid cutting the foot.

I'm amazed at the results people have gotten from the clear iodine - seems like great stuff! Sounds even better that the Tricide Neo that many have sworn by. And I am certainly a fan of there being a moderately quick solution without having to cut into the poor animal.

Here he is sporting his shoe
tongue.png
kinda chunky but it works. I hope I angled it enough so that it wouldn't be uncomfortable for him to put his foot all the way down. That vet wrap sure works well! Hopefully my clear iodine will show up tomorrow so I can use it the next day.

I definitely want to write a whole lot down to get as much as I can from my dad's life recorded to pass down. And now that you mentioned a video I want to be sure to do that too! A kind of interview or something. Thank your DH for his service. It's sad how the Vietnam war was so harmful to our soldiers
sad.png
my dad had several friends who have neurological disorders or have died from the agent orange poisoning.

Looks good from here. Very pretty drake and duck . I hope the clear iodine comes today .

Looks good from here. Very pretty drake and duck . I hope the clear iodine comes today .

Thanks! We have three pretty khaki ladies and two lovely muscovy gals. :) The poor fella's boot is getting all caked with mud this morning, but I felt bad keeping him locked up :/

Thanks! We have three pretty khaki ladies and two lovely muscovy gals.
smile.png
The poor fella's boot is getting all caked with mud this morning, but I felt bad keeping him locked up
hmm.png
I don't what to tell you about that unless you take it off and clean it then back on Does he seem to walk better having the padding there?

I don't what to tell you about that unless you take it off and clean it then back on Does he seem to walk better having the padding there?

It does seem to help him walk better; he's keepin' up with all the girls. :) But yeah I may re-wrap today if I get the chance. We covered the pool so he won't get in, but It's been so foggy and wet here that past few days - I love it though!

It does seem to help him walk better; he's keepin' up with all the girls.
smile.png
But yeah I may re-wrap today if I get the chance. We covered the pool so he won't get in, but It's been so foggy and wet here that past few days - I love it though!
It helped my hen too. Now I need to go look at her foot and she is def covered in mud it's very wet and muddy here. What we won't do.. Oh post some pics of your Scovy ladies that is the breed i have.

It helped my hen too. Now I need to go look at her foot and she is def covered in mud it's very wet and muddy here. What we won't do.. Oh post some pics of your Scovy ladies that is the breed i have. 

Haha, yeah, what we won't do :p

Here are the 'scovies! They are still young; just over 6 weeks. A chocolate and a... Lavender? I'm still new to the breed. We got them because we heard about how they are super broody and we could really use a couple good "incubators" like them. :) We have really enjoyed them, they sound like songbirds! And they're really sweet. How many do you have? What colors? I used to think they were ugly years ago, but now I appreciate them much more - they are quite beautiful in their own special way.

Last edited:
Haha, yeah, what we won't do
tongue.png

Here are the 'scovies! They are still young; just over 6 weeks. A chocolate and a... Lavender? I'm still new to the breed. We got them because we heard about how they are super broody and we could really use a couple good "incubators" like them.
smile.png
We have really enjoyed them, they sound like songbirds! And they're really sweet. How many do you have? What colors? I used to think they were ugly years ago, but now I appreciate them much more - they are quite beautiful in their own special way.

They are very beautiful Love their coloring too.

I have 8 now my youngest are 2yrs old didn't let anyone hatch this year or last. But I have lost 3 of my oldest to old age so next year we may have some ducklings.. Broody oh my gosh I have one right now a blue fawn in color sitting on nothing and this is her 2nd time this year. Her sister went the full 35 days and I kicked her out took her a couple days to come around but Joy will not give up so she'll be on my sort list if I let anyone sit next year. She is going on 45 days now. thankfully she comes out and does her business and eats and looks good so I am not too worried other than come on get over it. I have one old timer left he was 11 in march of this year then it drops down to age 8 one of my ducks then down to age for 4 for 3 then age 3 for 1 and age 2 for the last 2 girls. Colors are blue fawn, blue/white [2] barred and 2 blk and white and one wild [which is blk] and Opie who is pied he is my baby we had to raise him when his mama rejected him so he pretty much thinks he's a dog. He has 5 girls but still likes to come inside and visit and hang out with us. They do make sweet noises don't they?

My iodine came yesterday! Gonna check out his foot and treat him again in a few minutes.

Hahaha Opie sounds like a special fella! That must be him in your picture? I love their personalities; they're definitely a much calmer, friendlier temperament than our khakis. How many eggs do you usually get per day? And they stop laying through wintertime, right? So funny, those girls of yours are really convined they have ONE purpose in life haha! Can't wait to see ours hatch & mother some babies hopefully next year.

Back
Top Bottom