1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Bumblefoot - Calling All Crunchy Natural Folks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Homesteadin, Sep 30, 2015.

1. Homesteadin

Homesteadin Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2015
    Okie doke.

2. Homesteadin

Mar 16, 2015
    Question. How long till improvement is usually seen with soaking and iodine? This'll be the third day and so far he's shown that he's just in more pain; when I checked in on him last night he was no longer even letting his foot touch the ground.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Have you tried to pull off the scab yet? it will loosen with the soaks and iodine. then once you pull out the plug the healing begins. Might want to try putting a sterile no stick bandage on then wrap the foot with vet wrap watching not to wrap too tight so it doesn't cut off circulation. Another thing too is to check it out real good feeling to make sure there isn't a splinter in there.

4. Homesteadin

Mar 16, 2015
    No I haven't tried pulling it off yet; getting everything ready right now and I'll try pulling it off after soaking and will also look for thorn/splinter. Would cotton pads and masking tape work for wrap?

5. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Do you mean cotton balls? not sure what your meaning by pads. Only thing you don't want nasty to get to wound once it is open one reason I said no stick pads. Not sure if masking tape will hold or not you'll just have to try what you have just keep anything from sticking to the skin. Scab should pull off fairly easy if ready don't force too much or more healthy skin might get pulled too.

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Do you have any vet wrap? Or a clean sock (the leg part with the foot part cut off)?

I am thinking there could be a splinter in there, still. Or it's on a nerve.

7. Homesteadin

Mar 16, 2015
  8. Homesteadin

Mar 16, 2015
    I couldn't see a sign of a splinter, unless it's teensy tiny. I am guessing it must be on a nerve like you mentioned.

I will do a sock with the next wrap, that would be a lot easier! One of the kids can donate a little one. :)

9. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Keep us updated. I may take several soaks before scab loosens .

10. Homesteadin

Mar 16, 2015
    Okay I will, and thank you for caring and for your help. I think I am going to see if my husband will help me with a more lengthy soak and wrap this evening after the kids go to bed. It sure would be helpful to use my TWO hands instead of just one - this bag of feathers is not the tamest of creatures.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by