Bumblefoot in both feet

APK

In the Brooder
Aug 26, 2022
My hen has got bumblefoot in both feet. The pad is swollen and there is a dark spot in the center. What I did was soaked her feet in Epsom salt bath for 5-10 minutes. Then I inverted her and cleaned off the foot with Hydrogen Peroxide. I was able to scrape of a lot of the bumble but there is still a little dark spot on one of the feet. Then I sprayed it again with Isopropyl Alcohol and I wiped that off. Then I put polysporin on the bumble. I cut a bandage in half and wrapped it around the area, and then I wrapped the bandage again with a larger sticky bandage used for wrapping sprains. She is now isolated with food and water and has her own barrel.

Can you tell me if this is the correct treatment ?

Also, if I want to start her on antibiotics is there any place I can get antibiotics and what antibiotics should I give her ?

Hello! Good job! You don't need to isolate her. For mine, I've been treating her every day, and letting them forage for half a day, after only three days she's doing much better.

I have mine on aqua mox, it should be available in the fish section of your pet store.

Hello! Good job! You don't need to isolate her. For mine, I've been treating her every day, and letting them forage for half a day, after only three days she's doing much better.

I have mine on aqua mox, it should be available in the fish section of your pet store.

Thank you for the info. How much of dose of aqua mox are you giving her ? I found just straight Amoxcillin Capsules 250 mg. Is it ok if I give her this and what dose should I give ?

Sure sounds like the right treatment to me. I've dealt with bumblefoot twice and did exactly as you. Removing "bumble corn," cleaning, applying polysporin and a good vet wrap should be all that you need to do. I've never need to use Antibiotics with bumblefoot.

I didn't get a giant bumble corn like some people have. It is swollen and there is a bit of a scab. I just scraped away the scab and thoroughly cleaned the foot.

I didn't get a giant bumble corn like some people have. It is swollen and there is a bit of a scab. I just scraped away the scab and thoroughly cleaned the foot.

Of the 2 I've treated, one had that hard yellow thing and the other confused me when it didn't and that sounds like yours. Bottom line is that both healed just fine with same treatment you have done. I packed the foot with Poly and wrapped up well with vet tape. The first one I kept seperated for a few days but the 2nd one I let return to her friends sporting her pretty purple vet wrap. I have only once resorted to Antibiotics for a rescued chicken with severe respiratory issue. It's clearly your choice but remember to look into how long you need to egg withdrawl if you use antibiotics.

Back
Top Bottom