Bumblefoot on Coturnix..Update! Need help ASAP

Attack Chicken

[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu
11 Years
Sep 25, 2008
Indianapolis, IN
Ok.. I've delt with before on chickens but not on coturnix quail. It just seems like i would rip the whole little pad off of the foot. I only have 1 that has this problem and on BOTH feet. Lucky me eh?

Last edited:
The good news is...I have never had a coturnix die or loose a foot from bumblefoot, also, they have strange mutant healing powers far beyond those of mortal poultry
big_smile.png

The bad news is...The ones that get it, usually get it in both feet. Just spray some "Wound-Kote" "Blue Lotion" or "BlueCoat"...all are the same thing: on the affected area

Thanks! The bad thing is ,is that I don't have any of that stuff
hmm.png
Can I just bring her in soak her take that scab off and wrap her foot up just like a chicken?

Quote:
GOT A TSC THERE IN INDIANA? IF SO THEY SELL FARNAM BRAND WOUND COTE IN THE HORSE MEDICATION SECTION... ABOUT 8 BUCKS FOR A SPRAY CAN. WORKS LIKE A CHARM. BUMBLE FOOT IS USUALLY A DIETARY DEFICIENCY IN MOST QUAIL--- WHAT ARE YOU FEEDING THEM?

I'm feeding them purina flock raiser (the only thing we have avaliable to us), but they do get mealworms ever week along with egg. It's only 1 hen- a tibetan that has the bumblefoot problem.

Ok UPDATE: Yesterday I soaked the 2 birds (1 tibetan hen with bubblefoot on BOTH feet and a jumbo hen with bumblefoot on 1 foot) The tibetan hen is doing just fine today but the jumbo hen is limping really bad... She hopes a few then sits down and she did flush once but she was ok. I am really confused.. she is putting weight on the foot that had the bumblefoot and is holding what was her good leg up now. Otherwise she seems bright ad alert. Could she of just sprang it when I was holding her yesterday? Will it get better? I didn't feel any breaks in it or anything. Both of the birds are inside the house on pineshavings with food and water. PLEASE HELP!

There has to be something causing the bumblefoot (a splinter, cut, an infection of some sort). I have had one case of bumblefoot and she is doing great after soaking.

What I did was take a shallow bowl (enough to put the bird in up to the legs so she/he can stand in) and fill it with luke warm water with salt (regular kitchen salt). I soaked her twice and kept her in a hospital cage with a paper towel and kept it clean. In a week the swelling went down. In a week and a half, her foot was normal
smile.png

Quote:
IT COULD BE VERY LIKELY SHE HAS IT IN BOTH FEET AND THE "NORMAL "FOOT JUST HASNT SHOWED OUTWARD SIGNS OF IT YET. JUST FOR GIGGLES CHECK THE SMALL TAG ON A BAG OF YOUR FLOCK RAISER.... SEE IF IT HAS IN SMALL PRINT ANYWHERE ON THE TAG "CONTAINS RUMINANT BONE MEAL"? OFTEN TIMES ITS A B12 DEFICIENCY THAT EITHER CAUSES OR CONTRIBUTES TO THIS CONDITION.... I KNOW THE GAMEBIRD AND GAMEBIRD STARTRENA FORMULAS THEY HAVE CONTAIN IT, BUT HAVE NO IDEA OF THE FLOCK RAISER... WORTH CHECKING ANYWAYS.

Also Have Any Old Towels? If So Get Them Off Of Shaving And Line Their Hospital Cage With Towels Instead... This Will Greatly Help Prevent Any Secondary Infections.

Back
Top Bottom