Bumblefoot Pekin Duck Questions

MrsWayne

Songster
5 Years
Sep 13, 2016
Kanawha County, West Virginia
My Coop
My Coop
I believe one of my Pekins has bumblefoot. On Saturday she was limping but I could not see anything on her foot. Yesterday I noticed a small spot that could be a cut or start of bumblefoot.

I've read many threads on the infection so I know I should soak the foot in epsoms salt water, use betadine or clear iodine on the spot, and if/when the bumble scabs remove the scab and the corn underneath.

• If I cage the duck, can I cage her in the coop so she is not completely isolated?
  • She is not accustomed to the house so how do some of you soak the foot without bringing them inside an into your bathtub?
  • If the foot is wrapped must she be caged for weeks until it heals?
We haven't gone more than four days without some form of precipitation so the run she shares with the chickens stays wet no matter how much straw I put out. So I don't think I can keep the foot dry for long.

This will be traumatic for the poor girl. She isn't used to being handled.

Is this bumblefoot on my new duck?
20190216_175740.jpg

Is this bumblefoot on my new duck?View attachment 1675998
In all honesty, it really doesn’t look like bumblefoot. I’ve had ducks get bumblefoot on multiple occasions and I’ve never seen this. With that’s said, I’m not saying that it isn’t, but it does not appear to be bumblefoot as I see no site of infection. Could you post a picture of the bottom of the foot?

What it looks like to me is that she has had poor circulation to the foot. For example, fishing line or something can cut their circulation off. And for ducks, their feet will crack and peel. If caught early enough, the leg can be saved, but the skin may peel. That’s what it looks like from my perspective, and I believe trauma of some kind can do the same.

My ducks foot has begun peeling like this after she had bad blistering (we don't know what from) the blisters healed and now this sort of thing is happening, plus her webbing has a fairly good size hole in it. any ideas what might cause this?

Back
Top Bottom