Bumblefoot?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BrittAppalachia, Oct 5, 2018.

1. BrittAppalachia

BrittAppalachia In the Brooder

Apr 16, 2018
    Is this bumblefoot? And if so what should I do to treat it for a duck?

E6B1C6BE-48BF-40EF-94C0-DC99993EB54A.jpeg

Thank you!!

Attached Files:

casportpony and KikisGirls like this.
  2. DesertBird

DesertBird Songster

Jul 26, 2017
    Arizona
    I don't want to give you a definite yes or no answer in case I'm wrong, but it does look like an early version I recently saw on one of my chickens. I'd say wait for someone more knowledgeable on early stages than I am, though! lol However, commenting to ask; is that another spot in the middle of their foot?

3. BrittAppalachia

Apr 16, 2018
    yeah, I noticed that in the picture afterwards! Looks like she may have two

4. DesertBird

DesertBird Songster

Jul 26, 2017
    Arizona
    Aw, poor thing. Whatever it is, it doesn't look too serious or progressed to me. Does she seem to be limping at all? Are you able to maybe try gently cleaning the foot off a bit and seeing if she seems sensitive to touch? It does look a bit swollen to me.

5. BrittAppalachia

Apr 16, 2018
    She’s not limping at all! I check them weekly just to be safe but I haven’t seen any issue so far with any of my ducks! I felt the area and it doesn’t seem to be warm or hurting her. I wanted to give her an Epsom soak but as soon as I put her down she went to nest in the coop for the night. I’ll check her again in the morning to see where it’s at and give her a bath then maybe.

casportpony likes this.
  6. DesertBird

DesertBird Songster

Jul 26, 2017
    Arizona
    Well, it doesn't look too bad so hopefully the epsom soak tomorrow will help her out and someone else can give you some more definite info. I'd imagine it's a similar treatment as to what you do for a chicken if it is bumblefoot, but I'm not positive.

7. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General

Is the duck limping?

Miss Lydia likes this.
  8. BrittAppalachia

Apr 16, 2018
    No, she's not limping at all. However, I think it may just be a tad worse this morning.

casportpony likes this.
  9. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia ~Delight yourself in the Lord~

I'd get some clear iodine and after soaks with Epsom salt spread the iodine over the bumble with a q tip wait a few days and do it again. What you wanting is for the scab to peel off easily once you get the scab off the can use a pair of tweezers to pic out the bumble. The iodine helps bring it to the surface. Make sure to get clear.

casportpony likes this.
  10. BrittAppalachia

Apr 16, 2018
    So do I wait a few days after the first application of iodine or apply the iodine daily? And then just keep it covered until healed?

casportpony and Miss Lydia like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: