Burpee Pressure Canner

Backswampcub

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 7, 2008
Richlands NC
I just found a Burpee Aristocrat Pressure Canner in the Attic. The house that we just moved into belonged to my wifes family for the last 150 years. Anyways has anyone used this particular type of canner or have any info on it. I did a google search but everything was from someone looking for a seal. I would like to be able to use this thing now that I am getting into canning. It would be great to save money on a canner. I could get more lids for the 200 plus Jars I found in a barn outback

Can you post a pic? Is it a guage or a weighted canner? You should have it tested, regardless. I think your local county extension can do that for you.

Lucky you, finding 200 jars! I've got about 120-140 but my supply mysteriously disappears as I give away gifts.

Note to self:
1. put labels on canned goods to remind people to give back the jars.
2. make a "naughty list" of people who don't return jars

I'd highly recommend you have it tested by a professional to see if it's safe to use. Newer canners have safety features, like a melt-away plug if the pressure gets above XX.

Quote:
I'm not sure if that is the pressure regulator or the safety valve. Typically pressure canners/cookers have a small vent coming out of the top that you set a weight on. When the canner comes up to the desired pressure, the pressure lifts the weight allowing steam to escape, the pressure comes down allowing the weight to seal it again. The weight effectively regulates the pressure by releasing steam (jiggling) several times a minute.

A spring valve can do the same thing. The spring holds the valve shut until the pressure is such that it overcomes the force of the spring. The valve will open and close as necessary to regulate the pressure.

The knob in the center of your canner may be a weighted vent and the spring valve may be a safety valve. If the vent gets clogged with food and the canner overpressurizes the safety valve should open to relieve the pressure. If the safety valve doesn't open... BOOM.

I have the burpee pressure cooker my mom and grandmother and aunt used. my husband and I have canned for the past two years, we would like to use this canner. I think we may need a seal for it. I know how to use it just cant get the pressure to build up, I don't think mom ever replaced it. cant pull any thing up on it. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks
thumbsup.gif

I have the burpee pressure cooker my mom and grandmother and aunt used. my husband and I have canned for the past two years, we would like to use this canner. I think we may need a seal for it. I know how to use it just cant get the pressure to build up, I don't think mom ever replaced it. cant pull any thing up on it. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks
thumbsup.gif

I think I read somewhere that the local county extension office does pressure canner checks - also my local feed store sells canner seals (but I don't know about your make/model).

I have one and it works better than any of the newer ones. You can take it to your county extension office and they will check it out for safety .

Back
Top Bottom